Hardscape advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggheadfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys,
Not ready to start a thread on my new build yet, but need some tips. I have a tall tank, so I want to build some height with the substrate. I'm going to throw down some foam, but I want to have a staggered base and I'm not sure the best way to do it. If I use layers of foam (weighted) toward the back, will the substrate slip down to the front over time? I guess it depends on how much I put in there. I want a good foundation that's not a lot of maintenance. I hear some people use gravel in pantyhose or just stacks of rocks but not sure which direction to go. Appreciate any help!

If you don't have the foam at to much of an angle the substrate shouldn't slip down. If you roughed up the foam to hold the substrate it should help even more. Just my thoughts on it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I saw in another thread that egg crates were being used to help create a topographic foothold for the substrate. It looked pretty sturdy to me. I'm not sure if it would cut down on the amount of substrate needed, but would at least make it easier to visualize the substrate height.

I think that was over on the planted tank...

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

Yeah I've seen that too...I have a bunch of foam so was trying to save my pennies for some other more important stuff (filter, lights, considering CO2 :)) Maybe if I mimic the egg crate by cutting some little squares for the gravel to sit in it could work. I need room for plant roots too. I'll post when I have success!

Back
Top Bottom