Help me get rid of hair algae in my nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm embarrassed to say I can't seem to get rid of the hair algae in my nano tank. I can't recall if its 6 or 8 gallons. Led built in lights and natural diffused light come through a north facing window. Inhabitants include dwarf emerald rasboras, scarlet badis and one c. habrosus. I have been very lax on fertilizing this particular tank. Plants are crypts, anubias and java ferns. I really would not like to post a pic of it but if I must I will. I had a T8 on it with a plant bulb for awhile and that made it worse. Sooo... do I add ferts, change lights, move it to a dark corner?

Thank you in advance.

Edit: http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Pi...tank+kit&pebp=1421115990307&peasin=B007SUUH7Q

This is the tank so its 6g.

Tanks should not be near a window. Indirect sunlight is enough to cause an algae bloom. Also how long have you got your lights on/ day?

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Are you dosing carbon?

A quick, cheap, easy fix is to spot treat with OTC hydrogen peroxide. Make sure you turn off the filter first and leave it off for 20-30 mins. I use about 5ml/10 gallons and typically do a PWC before turning on the filter for good measure.
The algae should turn red/pink after 24 hrs and be pretty much gone after a week.

Of course, this is just a temporary measure until you can figure out what the actual cause of the algae is.
A picture might help figure out what kind algae it is. Some algae have specific growing conditions that could help determine what the imbalance is.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I try to limit lights to about 8 hours but the tank is by lamps as its in the living room. Will get a pic when I get home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here is my tank and a closeup of the algae. I'm not dosing Exel or Metricide. Should I?

Attachments

• 1421185298957.jpg
    1421185298957.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 1421185318736.jpg
    1421185318736.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 92
Ouch.. That's not just any ordinary hair algae, looks to be spiro or spirogyra. Once it gets hold, is very difficult to remove.
I'd reduce the lighting to 4 to 6 hours for a while.

I'd hate to recommend curing algae ailments with chemical means, best is usually prevention and addressing "root cause" first and foremost, whether it be carbon dosing or co2 issues and too much light.

But knowing how stubborn this stuff is, I'd recommend using a product from API called AlgaeFix. It worked for me and you just need to dose as directed. Also, if you don't have good surface agitation for oxygen exchange, I'd recommend using an airstone during treatment as I believe it has an affect on O2 levels. Otherwise, I've used it with no ill effect to my livestock or plants (even moss).. it is, however, a shrimp killer for sure.. but luckily in this case you don't have shrimp to worry about.

Edit:

During treatment, make sure any activated carbon is removed from the filter. After treatment is done, do a huge partial water change. Add activated carbon if you wish. Wear gloves to avoid contact as a precaution. It's safe, but just in case.. lol

Last edited:
Ouch.. That's not just any ordinary hair algae, looks to be spiro or spirogyra. Once it gets hold, is very difficult to remove.
I'd reduce the lighting to 4 to 6 hours for a while.

I'd hate to recommend curing algae ailments with chemical means, best is usually prevention and addressing "root cause" first and foremost, whether it be carbon dosing or co2 issues and too much light.

But knowing how stubborn this stuff is, I'd recommend using a product from API called AlgaeFix. It worked for me and you just need to dose as directed. Also, if you don't have good surface agitation for oxygen exchange, I'd recommend using an airstone during treatment as I believe it has an affect on O2 levels. Otherwise, I've used it with no ill effect to my livestock or plants (even moss).. it is, however, a shrimp killer for sure.. but luckily in this case you don't have shrimp to worry about.

Edit:

During treatment, make sure any activated carbon is removed from the filter. After treatment is done, do a huge partial water change. Add activated carbon if you wish. Wear gloves to avoid contact as a precaution. It's safe, but just in case.. lol

Thanks. I will reduce the lighting drastically. I really don't want to use chemicals. Would anything else help reduce it? It grows on the sides on the top half of the tank and also cover the filter intake and the floating plants.

You can try h2o2 and excel spot treatment methods coupled with a blackout of the lights for several days to weaken it.

But I can understand your reservations about using chemicals. Just keep it in mind as a last resort. And by all means, research it. Just don't take my word. Read reviews. Look up other threads on it. Dr. Tom Barr, well respected in the planted tank world, recommended algaefix. Google him and algaefix. He also goes by the user name plantbrain. As always, dealing with algae it is best to determine how you got here in the first place and address the root cause. Good luck!

So i dosed a little bit of Excel today and kept the lights on for only a short amount of time. I also got an awesome new java fern to compete with the algae. I hope.

Since java fern is such a slow grower, not sure how much it can actually help you compete with this algae. Most likely, the leaves will just be another surface for algae to take hold on. I've read that American Flagfish do well at eating algae. Not sure if it'll eat that type. You can also try Amano Shrimp.

I've found that amano shrimp eat the heck out of it. I had a problem with some moss I had ordered a few years ago, the spiro started growing from it like crazy, I added a few amanos and it was under control and almost completely gone a week later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. I've been dosing 1ml of Excel daily for the last 5 days and it hasn't gotten worse at all. It seems to have stopped spreading actually. I'm not sure where I could get just a few Amano shrimp. My LFS doesn't sell them. I could look at this huge fish swap next weekend.

Try different LFS's... I was actually surprised to find some at a Petco under the name Japanese algae eating shrimp.

Last edited:
OHH thanks for the heads up on that. I will be sure to google so I know what they look like and can purchase if they are mislabeled.

Second amano shrimp and add a red ramshorn..... JUST ONE!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's an update for those of you who helped me. I haven't found the Amano shrimp yet but I've been dosing excel daily and actually using my other ferts and the algae is slowing way down.

Attachments

• 1422402476085.jpg
    1422402476085.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom