Help on plant enhancements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trioracles

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to install a co2 system but that's way too expensive. If I do decide to get one I heard it only lasts once a month and then you dispense and get a new one.

I looked into diy but people said its not practical for one to use diy over 40g tanks because of maintenance and bottles everywhere.

I thought about seachem excel and flourish but I heard they melt your plants. What I've read is that some people have luck with it and some people didn't. I don't want my Christmas moss to dissolve and die.

Sorry, I really don't know what I'm asking lol. I guess any type of suggestion would greatly help!

I have a 60g tropical tank. The safest option I think would be a co2 system instead of liquid buffs. I'm just concerned for my fish and my moss .

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't have any experience with pressurized co2 set ups because I only run a diy system on my 26gal. What I can say is that although the initial setup is expensive it was cheaper in the long run and provides greater control.

What I can suggest is look online for pressurized kits and look at some of the big tank build threads in the planted tank section to see what they're using.

Here is a recent thread on pressurized set ups. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335277

Hope I helped :)

1 - What light system do you have over the tank?
2 - What plants do you have / want?
3 - What ferts do you use?

Liquid carbon is perfectly safe. Some vals melt with it but my christmas moss always did good on very high doses of excel.

For reference, this is my old medium light 55g that was grown on excel at 5x the normal dosage.

wvbeMtq.jpg

1 - What light system do you have over the tank?

2 - What plants do you have / want?

3 - What ferts do you use?

Liquid carbon is perfectly safe. Some vals melt with it but my christmas moss always did good on very high doses of excel.

For reference, this is my old medium light 55g that was grown on excel at 5x the normal dosage.

wvbeMtq.jpg

I don't remember what kind of plants I bought. I know I have Java and Christmas moss, dwarf lily, red tiger lotus, and banana plant. I have some others but I don't know that their names are.

I have very high lighting and very fine sand as substrate.

But I've heard that excel will kill moss tho. I read on other forums

I don't remember what kind of plants I bought. I know I have Java and Christmas moss, dwarf lily, red tiger lotus, and banana plant. I have some others but I don't know that their names are.

I have very high lighting and very fine sand as substrate.

But I've heard that excel will kill moss tho. I read on other forums

Sorry, but just so we're on the same page here, what brand of light fixture do you have?

What about fertilizers?

Java moss doesn't always fare too well with excel but in my experience christmas moss does just fine.

My christmas moss that grew in that tank

75748-albums12252-picture68724.jpg

Sorry, but just so we're on the same page here, what brand of light fixture do you have?

What about fertilizers?

Java moss doesn't always fare too well with excel but in my experience christmas moss does just fine.

My christmas moss that grew in that tank

75748-albums12252-picture68724.jpg

Fertilizer? Err I don't think I use any. I use iron if that counts.

I have current USA satellite led plus for lighting

I have both Java and Xmas . They're so similar tho I figure if Java moss would be affected so would Xmas ?

Fertilizer? Err I don't think I use any. I use iron if that counts.

I have current USA satellite led plus for lighting

I have both Java and Xmas . They're so similar tho I figure if Java moss would be affected so would Xmas ?

The current usa fixtures are fancy, but they dont have a whole lot of power. That fixture will put you at the low end of medium light sadly.

But keeping that in mind i would suggest that you look at some dosing routines such as pps pro or estimative index (EI)

You can try excel, but it will risk the java moss. Diy co2 can be done, but is a huge pita over time and can get expensive, especially with larger tanks.

2014-04-25 by threnjen, on Flickr

This is a high light tank that used Excel, or rather Metricide 14, dosed at full strength 60ml to my 115g water. This would be equivalent to dosing almost 115ml of Excel which is 10x the recommended dose of 1ml/10g, and this is daily. I know it's hard to differentiate but the center wood is totally covered in java moss in this pic. It got so insane that I cut off huge swaths of it and started growing it in mason jars in my window.

YMMV of course. The only plant I have personally had that couldn't withstand heavy glut was Elodea.

Back
Top Bottom