HELP!! PLANTS DYING!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Primetime

Aquarium Advice Regular
My plants were out of water and gravel for 2 hours with only the roots inside some water. I was switching to a new tank and then when I checked the leaves were all crunched together and looked weak. The plants looked out of energy and needed major help. I quickly put them inside gravel in my new tank setup and its been an hour and they are standing but still look crunched up and VERY weak. What should I do? The lighting is on but my plants look lifeless :cry: :cry: !!
SOMEBODY HELP QUICK BEFORE THE PLANTS DIE!

Give them a time to come back. Thats all you can and need to do.

Assuming the new setup is adequate for the plants, IMO you should just run everything normally and they should be looking better by tomorrow. It is bad because the leaves dried out, and you might lose some, and you might even lose some of the stem, but plants are pretty tough and luckily grow back. If you were considering CO2 already, doing it now would not hurt. Root tab deep by the roots would not hurt. The plants would still need time.

Thanks for the reassurance! I feel much better. I will update tomorrow. Thanks a lot once again.

I did this recently - I had taken some rocks out of a tank for maintenance that had some ferns and anubias tied to them. The phone rang, then I had to go pick up the kids... etc. I returned a couple of hours later, realizing that I had left the plants completely out of the water all that time. They were dried out - seriously! I put them back and they lost a few leaves, but they came back. This depends a lot on what kind of plant it is, but especially since the roots were in the water in your case you are probably fine.

TankGirl said:
I did this recently - I had taken some rocks out of a tank for maintenance that had some ferns and anubias tied to them. The phone rang, then I had to go pick up the kids... etc. I returned a couple of hours later, realizing that I had left the plants completely out of the water all that time. They were dried out - seriously! I put them back and they lost a few leaves, but they came back. This depends a lot on what kind of plant it is, but especially since the roots were in the water in your case you are probably fine.
Alright, thanks a lot! I really hope they stay fine.
My Amazon Sword looks fine now but my angustofolia (I think thats what it is) looks kinda messed up. Heres a picture from the net of one:
http://www.tropica.com/go.asp?plant...languageguid=DA

The link does not bring me specifically to a plant - just the main site - but are you talking about Hygrophila corymbosa?

I still think that even if every current leaf turns brown and dies you will get new leaf growth. As the old leaves/stems die trim them off, as it will help the plant, and watch the new leaves grow in. I am confident the plant will bounce back - we don't like to test them to see what they can tolerate, but you'd be amazed at what aquatic plants can put up with.

Remove the leaves. Those will not heal. They will only use nutrients the plant could be using for new growth.

Simpte said:
Remove the leaves. Those will not heal. They will only use nutrients the plant could be using for new growth.
Alright, thanks every1. I'll see what the situation is tomorrow or monday, and whichever leaves are totally dead, I'll remove.

Back
Top Bottom