Help with a compete planted overhaul

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Turface is good stuff. Cheap as heck and a little goes a long way. I tried it for the first time in a 75 gallon tank and am very happy with the result. I have eco in almost all my other tanks. I have pulled plants up to to inspect the root systems and was pleased to find lots of nice healthy roots. I am growing four leaf clover in the foreground and it is also taking root nicely. Glosso worked well also. Also something that might be a factor is the weight. Turface weighs next to nothing. Adds very little weight to your finished tank. That may or may not be a concern for you, just thought I'd mention it. :)

After hearing so much about Turface and running into so many probs trying to track down a 10 lb co2 tank locally, I think I may save the expense and go with it over eco-complete, but I'm not sure. What does eco-complete have in it that Turface doesn't? Are the extra nutrients it's supposed to contain worth the extra cost? Should I consider mixing one or two bags of eco-complete with the Turface? or would that look bad?

I recently started using Schultz's aquatic soil that you can get from Home depot or lowes. $6 for a 10lb bag, and a 10lb bag covers double what 10lb of eco will. I would bet 40 or 50 pounds of it would fill your tank nicely, and it's cheap as well. It's growing plants for me very nicely. I have eco in one of my other tanks, and I think the schultz does almost as good of a job with the plants.

Sorry to top my own thread. I seem to be having serious problems finding a substrate. I ran to three hardware stores today. Aquatic substrate is about $15 for 20 lbs which is the same as eco-complete basically. I can't find Turface anywhere at all.

Have you contacted the manufacturer for Turface yet? They are generally quite responsive and got back to me within 24hrs with the only vendor that sells Turface near me. I had wasted quite a bit of time looking for it on my own and never would have thought to check with that particular seller.

don't forget that the quote above says that 40-50 pounds of the aquatic would do your tank - that's about $50 vs the Eco's $140.

Great post - lots of fantastic info. Although now I want to start all over again too... and I just finished putting it all together.

black udder said:
don't forget that the quote above says that 40-50 pounds of the aquatic would do your tank - that's about $50 vs the Eco's $140.

Great post - lots of fantastic info. Although now I want to start all over again too... and I just finished putting it all together.

I was told about 100-120 lbs so 5-6 20lb bags. I did e-mail the manufacturer of Turface, but haven't got any response yet. Stupid me I never thought to call them. That's what technology does to you.

Back
Top Bottom