help with iron supplements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeptuneJoe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am new to the forum and new to planted aquariums. I currently have 3 amazon swords in a 56 gallon column tank with 6-24" 6500K T-8 bulbs above it (medium lighting?). My ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0, and nitrate is usualy between 5 to 10 ppm. The tank houses about 10 red fire guppies, and one chinese algae eater. My question; I recently started adding flourish excel and flourish iron. The flourish iron I am most uncertain about. I purchased a hagen iron test kit to test the iron level of the aquarium. After my last PWC I added a whole capful of iron supplement to the water (instructions on the bottle of iron supplement call for 1 capful for every 100 gallons). When I tested the water 2 days later, the iron test kit indicated that I had no iron in the water. I followed the exact directions that came with the test kit, and have reapeated the test several times, but have never had results any different. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on whether my test kit may not be good or if I have simply missed something.

Most people will tell you that there is no good cheap iron test kit, they just dont work.

hope this helps:

It'll be accurate but does not test bio available Fe.
Water column Fe is a poor indicator for limiting conditions for rrooted aquatic plants.
That's because when you add liquid Fe, it rapidly precitates in the tank water is the testing is very time dependent as well as alkalinity dependent and PO4 dependent, spec ifically SRP PO4 dependent, most every single test sold to aquarist are total PO4,not inorganic forms.

So basically it's a very complex issues, thus to suggestion: there are no reliable methods to test for good ranges of Fe in the water column.

Well, there is one: watch your plants. Add progressively more till there is no positive response further and then you have achieved the max rate for plant growth given that........and this is very important..........that the other nutrients and CO2 are non limiting as well and you have ample lighting.

Regards,
Tom Barr

from

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/iron-test-kit-84157.html

Why are you only adding Fe? Seems like you should be adding a Micro fert that contains all or most of the Micro's for your plants. IE B, Mg, Fe, Mn, Mo, Zn, Cu, ect..

In addition to the fertilizers you are adding now I would suggest Flourish and Flourish Tabs (Amazon swords are heavy root feeders). Flourish Iron is useful but normal dosage is 1 ml for every 10 gallons so I would do 5 ml but for six days a week. You may also find that you need to add Flourish Potassium, Nitrogen or Phosphorus depending on how your plants respond.

Back
Top Bottom