help with plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShellBeaumont

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!
My first aquarium plant arrived today and it looks like this.

ForumRunner_20130814_115312.jpg

I don't know if I'm supposed to put it in like that or whether the roots are supposed to be attached to/inside something? I really have no idea as this is my first ever plant. Please help, thank you

Looks like a Sword.

Plant the roots into the substrate (rocks or sand) If it tries to float away you can add a rock over the top to the side of the plant where most of the roots are (under the substrate). For this plant push it into the substrate a couple millimeters from where the root and the plant start.

Look into getting some root tabs for this kind of plant because they are substrate feeders. Swords love the ferts to grow well. They will need appx. 6-8 hours of light if you have a standard stock light fixture.

You can break your light period for a couple hours off in the middle of the day, if you like the lights on am and pm. If you leave the lights on for 12 hours, all at once you will likely get algae. You can use a timer if it is more convenient.

Congratulations on starting your planted tank!!

Yes it's an Amazon sword I believe (I read somewhere they are fairly easy to keep)
Thank you for your help! I also bought a plant feeder, is this suitable for the sword plant?

ForumRunner_20130814_122942.jpg

I also have some straight Vallisneria on the way, is this food okay for that plant?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom