Help with Snail infestation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNamelessPoet

Aquarium Advice Freak
So... I had a tank disaster... mostly of my own doing BUT I got a plant (what is it btw?) to flower so I didn't want to do anything and tank EXPLODED with snails.

Also I just moved to a house and am resetting my tank. BUT I am SURE the snails have laid eggs in the sand and on the rock.

So as you can see with the pictures. there is a real snail problem. These pictures don't do it justice to be perfectly honest... in this 29/30 gallon tank I bet there are between 100-200 snails.

At the moment I have no fish but I DO have plans on getting them eventually. I want to take care of this snail issue 1st and get my CO2 set back up 1st.

So... how I irradiate 6 BILLION snails without boiling the sand and rock? My plant has attached to the rock and I would LIKE to split it eventually, bring 1/2 of it to work where I have a 20 gallon tank also.

Attachments

• flower.jpg
    flower.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 74
  • overgrown.jpg
    overgrown.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 82
  • jerks.jpg
    jerks.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 75
I had a snail infestation in my 20 gallon. I bought 1 assassin snail and it had it under control within the week. They will eat the eggs too.So maybe get like 2-3 for your tank?
If you don't want to hire assassins then I'm pretty sure you can kill them with aquarium salt.

Hello Name...

Snails are a part of a healthy tank. You won't find a better cleaning crew. Their population is a way of telling how much you're feeding your fish and plants. You're likely guilty like most of us of feeding a bit lavishly. So, reduce the amount you feed and change more tank water and do it more often. Half the water weekly isn't too much. You'll remove the nutrients the fish and plants aren't using. Go with low phosphate foods. Phosphate is a snail favorite. Nitrates are the other one. Also, if you're used to vacuuming the bottom material, take a little more time with that too. You'll remove any uneaten food the snails would use. The old school tank keepers used to use long, wooden spoons to crush the snail shells and the fish would clean up everything, but the shells. Eventually, the shells would dissolve in the water.

B

I had a snail infestation in my 20 gallon. I bought 1 assassin snail and it had it under control within the week. They will eat the eggs too.So maybe get like 2-3 for your tank?
If you don't want to hire assassins then I'm pretty sure you can kill them with aquarium salt.

I am thinking that might be the best idea... The Assassin Snails

Hello Name...

Snails are a part of a healthy tank. You won't find a better cleaning crew. Their population is a way of telling how much you're feeding your fish and plants. You're likely guilty like most of us of feeding a bit lavishly. So, reduce the amount you feed and change more tank water and do it more often. Half the water weekly isn't too much. You'll remove the nutrients the fish and plants aren't using. Go with low phosphate foods. Phosphate is a snail favorite. Nitrates are the other one. Also, if you're used to vacuuming the bottom material, take a little more time with that too. You'll remove any uneaten food the snails would use. The old school tank keepers used to use long, wooden spoons to crush the snail shells and the fish would clean up everything, but the shells. Eventually, the shells would dissolve in the water.

B

I am actually guilty of UNDERFEEDING, like I am ashamed to admit how many days I have gone not feeding my little guys (when i had some lol).

I think it MIGHT have been the plants breaking down. I have soooooo many that some were deteriorating which I assume will do the same thing as overfeeding.

Just like I say every time I redo my tank tho... "I am going to do better this time!!!"

Back
Top Bottom