how do I add live plants to my already cycled aquarium...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-Chris-

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so I have had my 55 gallon aquarium for 6 months now. It obviously has already gone through the nitrogen cycle, and I already have fish. Now I want to switch from the fake plants I have in there to some easy beginner level live pants. My question is, do I have to drain most of the tank, take out all the gravel and add a fertilizer substrate, then add all the gravel back in on top? Every video I have seen on YouTube says you have to have that layer on the bottom for the plants to thrive. I was hoping I wouldn't have to go through all that and figured I would ask y'all what you think I should do. I would appreciate any comments.

Depending on color of ur substrate i would go out and buy the substrate with plant stuff already in it and mix it with ur substrate... Leave water take fish out or move them and let all the plant nuttients settle on the bottom i think that shud work as it did for me

Don't trust everything you see online :)

Most plants aren't nearly that difficult to keep and they will grow perfectly well in gravel. The reason people tend not to use gravel is because it can be difficult to get it to root properly in your tank, but with a little perseverence it will work. For a low light tank like yours (assuming you have stock lighting) you need nothing special at all to grow plants. Just plant them and he done with it.

Some plants to look for are java fern, java moss, bolbitis, anubias, and most crypts. The crypts will need root tabs to really thrive.

If you want to change your substrate I would suggest that you use pool filter sand or black diamond blasting sand. there's no need for specialty substrate.

Back
Top Bottom