How many fish to out in my 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mijo51380

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon and have 12 cherry shrimp 6 Cory catfish 5 oto catfish and 12 neon Tertras is it safe to put any more fish in there

I have a 55 gallon and have 12 cherry shrimp 6 Cory catfish 5 oto catfish and 12 neon Tertras is it safe to put any more fish in there

Oh definitely. You can fit lots more fish. What type of Cory? You should use the aqua advisor tank stock measuring thing. It tells you if you tank is overstocked or how many fish you can add, etc.

Hello M...

A 55 g tank is roughly 48 X 12 inches. Take length times width and divide by 12. So, you can have about 50 small fish in your 55. This is adult fish about an inch plus long.

If you you're a good "water keeper" and change out half the tank water every week or two, then you can certainly have a few more.

B

They are pepper Cory catfish this tank is new only been setup for 4 weeks

If the tank is new then I would say that adding fish depends entirely on your parameters. As long as you are reading 0/0 for ammonia / nitrites then go ahead and add a few fish. I would suggest another small school of fish, probably either harlequin rasboras or praecox rainbows and then go for a showier fish like a dwarf gourami. I would say a pearl gourami but they might eat your shrimps.

Everything is good had some brown algae but the oto catfish took care of it. I was thing on getting another school of show fish any ideas

Your 55 G

They are pepper Cory catfish this tank is new only been setup for 4 weeks

Hello again M...

Peppered Corys are one of the largest species. I keep Corys and they shouldn't be crowded. I keep 1 for every 5 gallons of tank volume. If you want, you could have 5 or 6, but smaller groups of this species is best. These guys can grow to 4 inches, so the more room you provide, the better. If you have several fish this size, your tank could become overstocked pretty quickly.

B

+1. Threadfin rainbows are another great choice.

I keep Threadfins in with my RCS and CRS shrimp. I have CPDs as well, but they only grow to an inch so might be lost in such a big tank.

Be careful when adding fish. Most will hunt and eat Shrimp. Make sure you have plenty of live plants to hide in.

If you stock shrimp friendly ( or fairly safe ) fish, your Shrimp will come out more.

You can add a few Amano Shrimp as well.

Back
Top Bottom