How necessary are fertilizers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelseytingler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently started up a second tank with anubias nana on driftwood and crypts as well as an "el nino fern" baptista, I believe.. I have no problem growing anubias in the past but have had no luck with any ferns and have never grown crypts. I have used bottle ferts in the past but for a large tank the bottle doesn't last long and it becomes costly fast. How necessary are plant fertilizers for crypts and this fern? Thanks for the advice in advance! This is a 40 gallon long with average t5 floramax bulbs.

I recently started up a second tank with anubias nana on driftwood and crypts as well as an "el nino fern" baptista, I believe.. I have no problem growing anubias in the past but have had no luck with any ferns and have never grown crypts. I have used bottle ferts in the past but for a large tank the bottle doesn't last long and it becomes costly fast. How necessary are plant fertilizers for crypts and this fern? Thanks for the advice in advance! This is a 40 gallon long with average t5 floramax bulbs.
This may help. Basics to starting a Planted Tank - The Planted Tank

Which fertilizer were you using? Crypts need root tabs, not just liquid ferts. You place the root tab there every few months or so. I am not sure what El Niño fern is. I believe it is not a fully aquatic plant and is more of a terrarium/bog plant. I would try going for java ferns, they are almost as easy to grow as anubias.

If you want to upgrade a bit, I would use flourish or excel as a fert. However, dry ferts are a lot more effective and if you start getting more demanding plants, I would suggest you get those.
Your tank is all low light plants right now so root tabs for the crypts should be good enough. You can choose to dose some sort of liquid fert for boost.

Excel is a liquid carbon and not a fertilizer. The El Nino fern will eventually die as they rarely ever acclimate to being fully aquatic. Now is you get Bolbitus it will do quite nicely. With the plants you have you need root tabs for the crypts and using something such as Flourish Comprehensive weekly after a WC will do fine for the other plants.

Using Plant Fertilizers

Hello Kel...

I keep large, planted tanks and used liquid ferts or no supplements at all. My tanks with a lot of fish in them have done just as well as the tanks with just a few fish and an added liquid like Seachem's Comprehensive.

I'd have to say that if you have a tank with easy to grow plants and standard lighting you don't need commercial fertilizer as long as you have a decent number of fish in the tank and feed them a balanced diet. The fish wastes and large, frequent water changes will maintain a healthy level of nutrients for the plants.

B

Hello Kel...

I keep large, planted tanks and used liquid ferts or no supplements at all. My tanks with a lot of fish in them have done just as well as the tanks with just a few fish and an added liquid like Seachem's Comprehensive.

I'd have to say that if you have a tank with easy to grow plants and standard lighting you don't need commercial fertilizer as long as you have a decent number of fish in the tank and feed them a balanced diet. The fish wastes and large, frequent water changes will maintain a healthy level of nutrients for the plants.

B

Just bought some anubias for my low light tank and trying to figure out if I need ferts or not. You say not as long as I have decent # of fish. I have a 60g with:

7 neons
2 dwarf gouramis
2 mollies
6 guppies
5 cories
1 golden killi

Is that enough?

Your Tank

Hello Sal...

I consider a nicely stocked tank at 3 to 4 averaged sized adult fish for every 10 gallons of tank volume. So, you have enough for now, with plenty of room for expansion. Slower growing plants like Anubias, Java fern and any of the mosses and such will do fine on just a diet of dissolved nitrogen from the wastes the fish produce. Fast growers like Hornwort, Brazilian water weed and Pennywort could use a little supplement. I like Seachem's Comprehensive liquid, just a cap full dosed when you do your water changes is enough, it's pretty concentrated. You could also add a few more small to averaged sized fish to produce more nutrients. Corydoras are very nice fish. Excellent choice. They like a well planted tank bottom, since they're bottom feeders.

No matter how many fish you have, you should remove and replace half the tank water at least every couple of weeks, no slacking. Your fish, especially the Mollies will appreciate the pure water conditions.

Just one reporters's opinion, though. The water keeping hobby isn't an exact science, there are many ways to success.

B

Hello Sal...

I consider a nicely stocked tank at 3 to 4 averaged sized adult fish for every 10 gallons of tank volume. So, you have enough for now, with plenty of room for expansion. Slower growing plants like Anubias, Java fern and any of the mosses and such will do fine on just a diet of dissolved nitrogen from the wastes the fish produce. Fast growers like Hornwort, Brazilian water weed and Pennywort could use a little supplement. I like Seachem's Comprehensive liquid, just a cap full dosed when you do your water changes is enough, it's pretty concentrated. You could also add a few more small to averaged sized fish to produce more nutrients. Corydoras are very nice fish. Excellent choice. They like a well planted tank bottom, since they're bottom feeders.

No matter how many fish you have, you should remove and replace half the tank water at least every couple of weeks, no slacking. Your fish, especially the Mollies will appreciate the pure water conditions.

Just one reporters's opinion, though. The water keeping hobby isn't an exact science, there are many ways to success.

B

Awesome and thanks for the quick response! Yes I will be continuing to add more fish, though I am doing it slowly. I do about 30-40% PWC weekly so I think I am good there.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom