hygrophilia pylysperma sp. 'sunset' = weed devil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is no match for scissors :mrgreen:

I enjoy my hygro, but I must very diligently keep it trimmed. If I don't keep it trimmed, then it becomes too overgrown and unattractive. I cut bunches out every week.

same here. And it will grow sideways, down, under things, over things, through things, branch off everywhere, and generally be a pain. Only thing that keeps me from getting rid of it is that it's so darn pretty.

When I trim I usually rip the whole lot out, cut off a few straight top stems to replant and ditch the rest. This slows it down and makes it look good for a few minutes, as opposed to a few seconds.

I have one strand I got as a clipping. In 3 months, it has grown from the middle of the tank to the front and has now turned sideways and is traveling the length. I could trim it in several places and start a sunset hygro colony, but now I'm bent on seeing how it will weave its way all over my tank. I envision a 3-D pipes screensaver type of scenario. :D

Jungle.jpg

Overgrown.jpg

That was from my 75Gal and represents about 1 week of growth (when you let it get away).. It started as 3 stems....

I have a love/hate relationship with Hygro. I love it in other peoples tanks and hate it in mine. It just grows to quickly.

It looks great, but grows way too fast for me too, especially now that there's about 4wpg on this tank. That's why we had to get rid of it. It was out of control...

Here is one week's growth:

Day 1
img_789787_0_63f32341cc658e3f6be93907983fabb6.jpg

Day 8
img_789787_1_427c55da75dab43b8bcc69ae8d75d8b7.jpg

Isn't that stuff supposed to be red?

I guess I should quit complaining about my Jungle Val & Amazon sword.

I was going to offer some brown C. Wendtii in trade, but that's a lotta trimming to have to do on a weekly basis. ADA weedwhacker, anyone?

The Hygro can be red if nitrates are low - around 10 ppm or lower, I think. I dose EI so my nitrates are not that low. I also have had some troubles with cyano in the past so I definitely don't want my nitrates to get close to bottoming out. I do wish I had some red leaves, though. They are very pretty.

OK - I was thinking it might be like C. Wendtii (brown) where you get green in moderate-low light, more brown, red petioles w/ more light.

I guess I got lucky with my sunset - It used to grow like mad and was taking over the tank. Then I did a major re-scape, and a major trimming, and those two things combined have made a huge difference. I haven't trimmed my sunset in over 5 weeks! It just seems to be growing slower than previously.

squawkbert - Once in a while, a new, small leaf at the top of the tank, close to the light, will turn a little bit pink. But generally, at my nitrate level, mine are just green. I do like the white veins in the leaves, though.

MSU Fan - That's a big difference in growth! Did you change your lighting?

An t-iasg said:
MSU Fan - That's a big difference in growth! Did you change your lighting?

Actually, I didn't change my lighting or my fertilizing. It just grew slower. I still can't figure out why. My other plants are growing very well - just that one and my swords which are also growing slower.

I tried to remove it from my tank once... I spent a whole day hunting it down.... I must have missed one twig of it. And it formed a forest again in less then a month. I agree. It's nice looking but it can be evil.

Then I just let my tank grow wild (Half me being lazy half wanting to know what in the tank would win) and the amazon swords took over the tank and shaded the sunset to much and it now oddly keeps it in check.

Back
Top Bottom