I want a lawn!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Midnighttang

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there a type of plant that stays relatively short and will spread like ground cover? I'd like to create a sort of "lawn" in my tank. I'd prefer relatively low maintenance, since I'm new to the planted aquarium biz.

I may be wrong since I'm new as well but...from my research most if not all nice thick ground cover needs high light and co2 and isn't particularly easy to grow...I wanted the same thing when I started my planted tanks lol, I'm only missing co2 right now then in off on the thick ground cover adventure...

Good luck!

Dwarf baby tears, and dwarf hair grass, are both ground covering plants! But you'll need high light good substrates and co2! If you want ground cover you need to prepare properly!

Best of luck!

Dwarf sag stays at around three inches and is a lower light plant. it produces runners like crazy and makes a "lawn" quickly.

phoenixkiller said:
I dunno if this is considered a 'lawn', but I am growing java moss pretty low to the substrate, and it looks like an unkempt lawn to me ;) .

+1 here. Java moss will create a nice lawn. Along with fissidens. If you want to learn more, let me know.

Thanks for all the suggestions! My only worry about Java Moss is that I've heard it takes over the tank, but I assume I can control that by just pulling some out when it starts going where I don't want it :). I had never heard of fissidens or dwarf sag. I looked up some pictures and they both look like great option, but the fissidens look like they will create more of the carpet look I want. I'm trying to create an area that might allow a shrimp or two to survive in my tank. I wonder if I could do a combo of the dwarf sag with the mosses or will one of the varieties just crowd out the others?

Midnighttang said:
Thanks for all the suggestions! My only worry about Java Moss is that I've heard it takes over the tank, but I assume I can control that by just pulling some out when it starts going where I don't want it :). I had never heard of fissidens or dwarf sag. I looked up some pictures and they both look like great option, but the fissidens look like they will create more of the carpet look I want. I'm trying to create an area that might allow a shrimp or two to survive in my tank. I wonder if I could do a combo of the dwarf sag with the mosses or will one of the varieties just crowd out the others?

No, if you give each it's proper floor space, then they'll be fine.

Shrimp survival will hinge heavily on stocking and water parameters.

If you want a fissidens carpet, there's a method you can perform using a chicken wire square type deal, and the fissidens will create a mat on it. You can google fissidens carpet method and probably get lots of hits.

Thanks, I'll try the chicken wire trick. The only problem I had with my attempt at ghost shrimp was that the gourami ate him, I think. I guess it could have been my cherry barbs, too. I was hoping if they had better hiding areas they might survive. Shrimp or no shrimp, I want to get my lawn started :). I want a green tank!

Midnighttang said:
Thanks, I'll try the chicken wire trick. The only problem I had with my attempt at ghost shrimp was that the gourami ate him, I think. I guess it could have been my cherry barbs, too. I was hoping if they had better hiding areas they might survive. Shrimp or no shrimp, I want to get my lawn started :). I want a green tank!

All of those fish will harass/eat shrimp. Especially cherries.

Gouramis? Either I failed to see it, or you didn't post it earlier, but gouramis are nasty, and I wouldn't recommend RCS to any tank with fish that size. But a carpet would be cool though ;) .

Just one gourami. They had to be separated. I didn't know how mean they could be until the one was beating up the other. The harassed one actually seems to be rather docile, but the aggressor is a beast. You folks have convinced me, no more shrimp, but I do want a lawn :)

Just one gourami. They had to be separated. I didn't know how mean they could be until the one was beating up the other. The harassed one actually seems to be rather docile, but the aggressor is a beast. You folks have convinced me, no more shrimp, but I do want a lawn :)
Glad ya decided to temporarily forget the shrimp. I'm sure they would be happy too :) .

Have ya decided for sure yet what the lawn shall be comprised of? Lots of options, just anxious to see which one ya decide :) .

I think I'm going to try the fissidens for the lawn using chicken wire, but I'm also going to use the dwarf sag in the back corner of the tank. The java fern is my second choice, if I can't find fissidens. I think I'm also going to use Java moss to cover an unrealistically colored plastic log in another tank. I need to see what the LFS carries. They're an hour away and I have to make the trip worthwhile, so this time I'm getting some plants and a figure eight puffer (yea!). I have a Petsmart and Petco near me, but they don't have much of a plant selection.

Midnighttang said:
I think I'm going to try the fissidens for the lawn using chicken wire, but I'm also going to use the dwarf sag in the back corner of the tank. The java fern is my second choice, if I can't find fissidens. I think I'm also going to use Java moss to cover an unrealistically colored plastic log in another tank. I need to see what the LFS carries. They're an hour away and I have to make the trip worthwhile, so this time I'm getting some plants and a figure eight puffer (yea!). I have a Petsmart and Petco near me, but they don't have much of a plant selection.

Lol F8s are tough to take care of. But nice.

There's a nice method I have for a java moss carpet. So if all else fails, pm me lol

Midnighttang said:

I would use plastic mesh or stainless steel not actual chicken wire.
For plants and supplies;
I also highly recommend buying from other Hobbyists.
Check our AA mart first.
Then check
TPT...The Planted Tank ( only members can see Sales Threads) and
APC...Aquatic Plant Central ( members only mart)
Both are free to join.

I've gotten great deals from fellow hobbyists.
Power Sellers are great, they have a ton of positive feedback.

Slow is better, anyway. Easier to control it :)

MABJ, just out of curiosity, what makes F8s difficult. I know they can't be kept with other fish, need an environment that is interesting to live in, prefer brackish water ( although the LFS keeps them in FW), eat frozen or live food and need snails to keep their teeth trimmed. They're also messy and need 50% weekly water changes. Have I covered all the bases or is there something else I'm missing? I don't want to accidentally hurt my first puffer, so any extra advice would be handy.

Back
Top Bottom