I want a Planted Tank. Please Help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I really really want a serious planted tank. My discus tank consists of plants but I do not really class it as a serious planted tank. I have begun my research and am going to use my 15 gal as a tester tank.

So please can some one give me some advice on what type of Watige I will need for a tank this size. BTW this is a T8 tubes, if you have any links that would be great.

I also need some help on DIY CO2 system I have no idea how to make one.

For substrate I was thinking Eco-Complete.

Please help me. LOL.

This is a great guide on how to make your own Co2 system. It shouldn't be too difficult for a 15g tank.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_co2.php

Eco-Complete will work great, and looks really cool in my opinion.

Lighting needs will be based on what kind of plants you want to have. This site has great information on the lighting needs of different types of plants.
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide.php

Since you mentioned CO2 I can guess that you are looking into medium to high light. I would recommend going high light since it will be easier to balance than a medium light tank, and fertz usage will be easier to predict. So you are shooting for around 3 WPG for high light. I don't know anything about T8 tubes, so maybe someone else will help out with that...

FWIW, you can also use the stickies at the beginning of this forum. There is plenty of info there. Like ringfinger states, your plant selection will drive your light decision, which will determine if you need CO2.

Thank you, I just checked out that site and have found some plants I am interested in.
It will be a low lighted aquarium, but I want a planted tank where I can see fast growth etc ... and better quality unlike my current discus tank.

So if it is a low lighted aquarium will i still need co2 for good growth?

anything over 2wpg really requires co2. for a lowlight tank, you could probably get away with flourish excel and ferts.

try swords for fast growth. anubias is beautiful, but is slower...

hth

Thank you for the replys. I am thinking of:

1) Four Leaf Clover (Carpet plant)
2) Hygrophillia Polysperma
3) Red Hygrophilia
4) African Tiger Lotus
5) Indian Fern
6) Java Fern

Any one got any suggestions on any other plants, prefebly some that grow very quickly.

If 3 is Alternanthera reineckii, it does not do well in my small low/med light tank -- lots of stem height but only the upper leaves live, and it just looks bad. Gene is big on Cambomba as a low light fast grower. Many mosses, even Xmas, do great in low light and are very attractive.

Keep up on your research and search the archives. I remember a cool 15g female betta tank from a few months ago that looked great and only needed a little NO3 dosing, for example. You can definitely have the tank you dream of :)

Back
Top Bottom