I want to get into a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowryder

Aquarium Advice Addict
looking into a 10 or 15 gallon max planted for the bedroom. I know nothing about planted tanks. I want to keep this simple yet beautiful, what is the minimum equiptment I will need? I plan on stocking with 1 male betta, 6 neon tetras and 4 pygmy cories.

I too want to get into this part of the hobby, so I'll be subscribed to this thread to monitor the responses. Anyway, from my research (which still keeps me a newb status unfortunately), I have been getting inspired by the Takashi "Amano" styles planted tanks... usually the type that folks use ADA, and less expensive Do!Aqua and Mr. Aqua's frameless tanks. The more I think about the lighting, co2, substrate, and so forth, my head and wallet starts to hurt...LOL

Good luck though!

As with a lot of things in this hobby - it depends..... lol. If you want a low light, low maintenance setup, you will really only need to buy a light that can provide between 1-2 Watts per Gallon of full spectrum lighting. If your going to go with the high-tech setup, you will need to buy lighting that can provide anywhere from 2.5 Watts per Gallon and up. You will also then need to buy fertilizers and invest in a CO2 system. You could go the DIY CO2 route since your tank will be pretty small. You could also get an enriched substrate that will provide nutrients for the plants.

As for the Amano setups, be prepared to shell out some dough and spend a lot of time aquascaping.

if you go with a 10g tank, you can keep low-lower side medium light plants just fine with the "stock" hood that comes with the tank assuming it is either a dual incandescent fixture or a single 15w flourescent fixture. If incandescent, get two of the spiral cfl bulbs from walmart that are 13w but 60w equivalent... if flourescent, get a phillips or ge daylight bulb. You can easily have a beautiful setup with low light, no co2, and only supplmental ferts as needed...

I agree with MFD.

Just saw the Mentor status MFD.... congrats! Very cool.

Last edited:
To add to what mdfrookie516 said, I would recommend trying to get the incandescent fixture rather than the fluorescent fixture. The fluorescent fixture is barely enough light to grow the supper low light tolerant plants in a 10 gallon. By using the screw in compact fluorescents, you'll be able to get more light over the aquarium and have a chance at some low to medium light plants.

Just saw the Mentor status MFD.... congrats! Very cool.

Thank you very much ;)

To add to what mdfrookie516 said, I would recommend trying to get the incandescent fixture rather than the fluorescent fixture. The fluorescent fixture is barely enough light to grow the supper low light tolerant plants in a 10 gallon. By using the screw in compact fluorescents, you'll be able to get more light over the aquarium and have a chance at some low to medium light plants
I guess that is a "YMMV" thing then. I've always seen HM "advertised" as a medium to medium-high light plant yet i grew and continue to grow it quite well, even as a carpet with a single 15w t-8 bulb in my 10g... Maybe i'm missing something, but here's a pic of what mine looked like when it got so out of control i had to move it to a 55g tank (I know it looks horrible :() But i do agree you can get alot more light from the incandescent hood :)

Last edited:
I guess that is a "YMMV" thing then. I've always seen HM "advertised" as a medium to medium-high light plant yet i grew and continue to grow it quite well, even as a carpet with a single 15w t-8 bulb in my 10g... Maybe i'm missing something, but here's a pic of what mine looked like when it got so out of control i had to move it to a 55g tank (I know it looks horrible :() But i do agree you can get alot more light from the incandescent hood :)

Were you running CO2 and ferts along with that light? That would go a long way towards explaining why you were able to grow the HM with such good results. Part of the reason that it is described as a higher light plant, is that to get it to grow as a carpet you need more light. I've grown it in medium light, but it tends to be more leggy, which it looks like it probably was in your picture as well.

no co2, i have recently started throwing in flourish comp, but thats after that picture was taken... it was somewhat 'leggy'...maybe thats what is was then...

no co2, i have recently started throwing in flourish comp, but that's after that picture was taken... it was somewhat 'leggy'...maybe that's what is was then...

Interesting. I do love the mystery of when people manage to get results out of their aquariums that no one else seems to be able to duplicate. If you ever figure out the secret of your success, you can sell it and make a mint to support your aquarium habit. I'd love to see what you could do with some better lights, CO2, and a full fert dosing routine.

Back
Top Bottom