Liquid co2 and plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishandmusic81

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay I have a 10 gallon planted take hardy plants such as anubias java fern banana plants and one onion plant so far doing good I bought some liquid co2 just to help them a bit
Should I go with dose recommended? I heard some people pour in a bit more
Also I can't run an airstone because it breaks up the co2 at the surface?

'Liquid CO2' is actually glutaraldehyde, a compound that plants can make use of in a similar fashion to CO2, although it is nowhere near as efficient as actual CO2.

Airstones are fine with glut, as it's not a dissolved gas.
I would start at recommended levels, and only increase them if you have a very specific reason to do so.

For the record, liquid CO2 would be something like -70 degrees F.

'Liquid CO2' is actually glutaraldehyde, a compound that plants can make use of in a similar fashion to CO2, although it is nowhere near as efficient as actual CO2.

I would start at recommended levels, and only increase them if you have a very specific reason to do so.

LOL, you just killed off a little bit of aqua chem.

aqua_chem said:

Thanks for all info!
And Im seeing the bottle now it's co2 booster from API but it's still glut
And other than giving the water movement I heard that it was good to run an airstone at night for plants? Can anyone clarify any info on this?
Thanks

Thanks for all info!
And Im seeing the bottle now it's co2 booster from API but it's still glut
And other than giving the water movement I heard that it was good to run an airstone at night for plants? Can anyone clarify any info on this?
Thanks

The theory is that plants, through photosynthesis, release oxygen into the water during the day, but at night, they consume oxygen. Therefore, adding an airstone at night will increase the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water and potentially aid plant growth.

I think the jury is out as to whether or not it makes a significant difference.

However, it is the same concept as to why it is potentially bad to run an airstone during the day in a planted tank, especially if you are running CO2, because the increased surface agitation will allow CO2 to escape into the atmosphere, leaving less for your plants.

Eleven13 said:
The theory is that plants, through photosynthesis, release oxygen into the water during the day, but at night, they consume oxygen. Therefore, adding an airstone at night will increase the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water and potentially aid plant growth.

I think the jury is out as to whether or not it makes a significant difference.

However, it is the same concept as to why it is potentially bad to run an airstone during the day in a planted tank, especially if you are running CO2, because the increased surface agitation will allow CO2 to escape into the atmosphere, leaving less for your plants.

Oh ok any little bit that helps would be worth a try
I'm not running a co2 system at the moment just the liquid I mentioned
So since the airstone doesn't effect the liquid I could put the liquid in when the lights are on and when the lights are off I can run the airstone?

Oh ok any little bit that helps would be worth a try
I'm not running a co2 system at the moment just the liquid I mentioned
So since the airstone doesn't effect the liquid I could put the liquid in when the lights are on and when the lights are off I can run the airstone?

Yes, plants use CO2 for the carbon, and since CO2 is a gas, it can be lost into the atmosphere via surface agitation from an airstone like I mentioned before.

Supplements like Excel and like the Booster you described are not CO2 supplements, they are carbon supplements. So, you are basically dosing a different form of bioavailable carbon for your plants to utilize. Since it is a liquid, not a gas, it will not be lost into the atmosphere unlike the CO2 gas from DIY or pressurized CO2 systems.

Eleven13 said:
Yes, plants use CO2 for the carbon, and since CO2 is a gas, it can be lost into the atmosphere via surface agitation from an airstone like I mentioned before.

Supplements like Excel and like the Booster you described are not CO2 supplements, they are carbon supplements. So, you are basically dosing a different form of bioavailable carbon for your plants to utilize. Since it is not a gas, it will not be lost into the atmosphere unlike the CO2 gas from DIY or pressurized CO2 systems.

Oh ok got it thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom