low light plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been reading up on planted tanks as it's something I would really like to do. We are getting a 50 gal in the future and I'm debating having it planted, I want to start out low maintenance and see how it goes.

Problem is, I've been looking around my LPS and although there are tons of plants available not a single one is labeled. Just lots of signs stating "plant, 2 for X" which pretty much just say buy so many for this much, or "buy a betta and a plant for 10 bucks" So I'm left without the slightest clue what on earth I'm looking at. I'd love some low light plant names so I can do some research and see if I can play the matching game at the pet store.

I guess also a quick question, can anyone tell me anything about LED lights?? I'm not sure what lights our 50 will have yet but my 20 came with an LED set up.. It's been years since I had a tank so I've never seen this before and haven't seen any info thus far on my reading about general consensus on LED re plants.

Growing plants with LEDs is really a game for people with either enough money to buy really expensive proper LED setups or the know how to build their own. Don't expect most cheap LEDs to be the right fixtures for plants. I'm not saying you couldn't do it. The new Marineland fixture is made to grow low light plants easily. You can even get buy with some of the ones offered on eBay. Most of the ones sold have a slew of shortfalls: under powered, light is directed too straight down, wrong spectrum for planted tanks, only lights a certain area, LEDs burn out quickly, insufficient heat sinks... If you're commuted to giving them a shot I'd start by looking through the lighting and DIY threads here.

Some low light plants are java fern, java moss, anubias (many types) anubias barteri, barteri nana, barteri petite, crypts ( I have no experience with these ), dwarf sag. For low light low cost maybe a t8 fluorescent fixture. Petsmart has 3 bulb fixture for 80 dollars I believe. LEDs are too expensive for not a lot of result. Once they go out you need to buy a whole new system, where as with a t8 fluorescent fixture you just need new bulbs and your back to new.

interesting. my 20 gal is marineland with the LED. I've never seen a set up like it so thought it was strange. It's got all the rows of LEDs, with day time lights all the whites with a few blues and nighttime blue lights. Wonder if it could support some low light plants, I hadn't really even thought about live plants in the 20.

If I decide to do plants with the 50 gal I won't be going out of my way to buy fancy LED lights. lol. I'm sort of cheap so will make do the "old fashioned way"

Some low light plants are java fern, java moss, anubias (many types) anubias barteri, barteri nana, barteri petite, crypts ( I have no experience with these ), dwarf sag. For low light low cost maybe a t8 fluorescent fixture. Petsmart has 3 bulb fixture for 80 dollars I believe. LEDs are too expensive for not a lot of result. Once they go out you need to buy a whole new system, where as with a t8 fluorescent fixture you just need new bulbs and your back to new.

Thanks! I'll def be checking those out!

If I decide to do plants with the 50 gal I won't be going out of my way to buy fancy LED lights. lol. I'm sort of cheap so will make do the "old fashioned way"

That would definitely be the way to go. Fluorescent lights work perfectly, are cheap, and you can always rely on them to work for a solid year before replacing the tubes. Regular T8s will grow low light plants for you no problem. (y)

That would definitely be the way to go. Fluorescent lights work perfectly, are cheap, and you can always rely on them to work for a solid year before replacing the tubes. Regular T8s will grow low light plants for you no problem. (y)

I guess the only worry I have is having some ugly looking set up. Generally speaking is it easy enough to "modify" most hoods to be able to grow plants?? Like switching out bulbs? I've seen a lot of people having the extra lights not in the hood and would really like to forgo that if I can.

I have 3 young kids and although they know they aren't allowed to touch the tanks, I would really prefer if I could keep the lights more contained, opposed to having extra things on stands or hanging off walls. If that makes any sense.

If you get two of the simple single T8 light fixtures that span the length of your tank you won't have a problem. They don't need feet or any other mounting hardware. Use a glass top to keep the kids from dropping their toys (or worse.. pennies!) in the tank. Pop a child proof latch on the stand door and that's about all I would know to do. Kids can be a persistent threat to a tank, but that's just because they're fascinated by them. Cats and dogs are often wary of young children because they're so unpredictable.

If they give you more than the normal amount of grief messing with the tank an easy way to redirect their curiosity is to include them in the maintenance. If they have to help carry jugs of water for top off or water changes, clean the outside class, wipe up spills on the floor, remove their own toys from it themselves, etc.. they'll usually either learn to be more helpful than harmful or loose interest in messing with it. It'll become something different than a simple toy or means to get a "funny" reaction out of you. Sometimes outsmarting a kid can be pretty rough going!

If you get two of the simple single T8 light fixtures that span the length of your tank you won't have a problem. They don't need feet or any other mounting hardware. Use a glass top to keep the kids from dropping their toys (or worse.. pennies!) in the tank. Pop a child proof latch on the stand door and that's about all I would know to do. Kids can be a persistent threat to a tank, but that's just because they're fascinated by them. Cats and dogs are often wary of young children because they're so unpredictable.

If they give you more than the normal amount of grief messing with the tank an easy way to redirect their curiosity is to include them in the maintenance. If they have to help carry jugs of water for top off or water changes, clean the outside class, wipe up spills on the floor, remove their own toys from it themselves, etc.. they'll usually either learn to be more helpful than harmful or loose interest in messing with it. It'll become something different than a simple toy or means to get a "funny" reaction out of you. Sometimes outsmarting a kid can be pretty rough going!

oh yes. LOL. My oldest helps to an extent, he's only 5 so he's limited on what he can do. We keep our current tank in a gated off area so there is no unsupervised time with the tank and the stand is a bit higher too so they don't have good reach on it either.. We will maintain the same strategy with our 50 gal. So far so good. I'm mostly worried about the free standing things they can bump into with the lights but if I can keep it on top that would be fine.

LED Lighting

Hello tam...

I recently upgraded the lighting in my 55 G tanks from the standard T8s and T12s to a combination of T5s and LED lights. The cost isn't "through the roof" and the LEDs help with coverage and penetration. I'm guessing you'll need a 48" strip that holds two T5s with the LEDS positioned between the T5s.

My plants have really responded to the additional watts and intensity. Check out "Deep Blue Professional" lighting. Alphaprobreeders carries them.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello tam...

I recently upgraded the lighting in my 55 G tanks from the standard T8s and T12s to a combination of T5s and LED lights. The cost isn't "through the roof" and the LEDs help with coverage and penetration. I'm guessing you'll need a 48" strip that holds two T5s with the LEDS positioned between the T5s.

My plants have really responded to the additional watts and intensity.
B

Are you running co2 in your tank by any chance?

Back
Top Bottom