Low-tech 5.5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monsteridea

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright, a while ago... I had a project going there I wanted to do a vase or a bowl of plants and add a couple ghost shrimp. Well, that only lasted a couple days... unfortunately, it must have got too cold in my apartment for the shrimpies :( Also, I think I may have done it wrong. I have a few questions so I hope I can do it RIGHT this time.

I have a 5.5 gallon laying around empty. I would have to clean it, of course... but it would be really cool if I could set it up as a low-tech tank for a female betta and a few WCMMs that are currently in a 5 gal mini-bow at my parents house. I am running a little low on outlets, so my first question is probably a no-brainer: I should definitely have a small heater in it, correct? Weather is warming up outside, but it get get pretty cold in the apartment still. I think when the shrimp bowl thing failed, it got down to the low 60s, high 50s in some occasions :'( I know that bettas and WCMMs are pretty hardy, and their current tank does have a small heater in it, so I wouldn't have to buy another one unless it breaks. This little group of fish have pretty much grown up together, the female Betta pretty much thinks she IS a WCMM. She used to be smaller than them, and is now a big fat pink shark haha. It's so funny how they all play together!

Second, assuming I can plant easy enough plants (I've had luck with anacharis, for example), also plan on using sand, how long should I wait before the plants can "establish" themselves in order to process ammonia and nitrates? I think this was another problem I had with the first attempt, maybe I didn't wait long enough? I know that it takes a bit with a mechanical filter, but is how different is the cycle between plants and a mech. filter? I read that as long as the tank is heavily planted, it's not necessary to even try to cycle it, because the plants take care of it... but can I add fish the same day? Just the thought of it makes me a little nervous.

I suppose a third question would be something I could look up, but I'd love your suggestions. What's the best way to clean a tank that has been sitting around? If it helps with the background... the tank once housed a hermit crab with black "calci-sand," but he is now moved to a 10 gallon.

I really want to succeed in this, so any and all suggestions would be fantastic!

Thanks!

Yes you will definitely need a heater. Bettas do best at 80f. WCMM are cool water fish but do well in higher temps too. A heater will help avoid any large changes in temperature which can be stressful for fish.

I would suggest a filter. It's far easier to keep a tank stable with one. The plants will use some of the fish waste but not all (unless the tank has mass plantings). Has the other tank got a filter? If so just use it. It's most likely already cycled.

You can use a bleach solution to clean the tank. 1 part bleach and 9 parts water. Scrub and rinse well with 3x dosed prime and water or rinse and let completely dry for a few days (bleach evaporates).

So, you say don't even try to do low-tech at all? The tank they're already in has a filter and a heater. They've been living there for going on 2 years. My attempt was to go as natural as I possibly could with a tank.

Plants for filtration was the idea. I recognize it would have to be heavily planted...

So, you say don't even try to do low-tech at all? The tank they're already in has a filter and a heater. They've been living there for going on 2 years. My attempt was to go as natural as I possibly could with a tank.

Plants for filtration was the idea. I recognize it would have to be heavily planted...

Well, it depends what you class as natural. Natural for a betta is warmer temperatures not the lack of a heater. So having a heater seems more natural to me. The reason I suggested a filter is if the plants don't take up all the ammonia or you miss a water change you have something to fall back on. It's like having insurance. If your willing to put in the work I'm positive it's possible to go without. Have you kept aquatic plants before?

In my personal opinion, a 5.5g is too small for WCMM. It is also my experience that WCMM tend to not do well at higher temps, especially at temps that would be "natural" for a better (80f).

I also wouldn't trust a tank that small without a filter and heater. Small volumes of water are subject to rapid swings in parameters, and that hardware will keep things stable.

Back
Top Bottom