Madagascar Lace plant help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadowfax29

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I just purchased a Madagascar Lace Plant from a local aquarium. The plant is a good size but doesn't look to be in tip top shape. I didn't want to pass it up as it's the only one I've ever seen for sale locally. Its a very dark green color and while transporting it home a pretty good amount of the leaves were damaged. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on saving it before it completely bites the dust. Also I understand that these go into a dormant period, can anyone advise as to how to identify the dormant period and how to care for it while in this stage? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm also attempting to add a photo of it. Sorry for the pathetic quality, I haven't a clue when it comes to taking tank pics. Thanks again!

I do not own one of these plants, but have seen them numerous times in stores around here and even online (imagine shipping that plant!).

It looks like the leaves have been damaged quite severely by the trip. Honestly, though, I've never seen one with every single piece of "lace" in place. Usually a few are torn, and most fish will nibble at these...

What sort of lighting do you have on the tank? If you don't have fairly high light, this plant will kick the bucket anyway...

As far as the leaves go, if you gauge them to be sufficiently damaged, you may want to cut back the damaged leaves and allow new leaves to grow (so that extra energy isn't put into the old, dying leaves by the plant). I'd leave at least 1 or 2 leaves uncut.

That's my advice. Hope it helps somewhat...

My exp. with these plants, they do not like it very warm either. my 90 gallon is always around 80 f, I killed 2 mad lace in that temp. I now have 1 in my 45 gallon, temp around 74, it's much happier.

If the bulb is a decent size, you can remove almost all the leaves and it'll grow new oines in a matter of 1-2 weeks, at least IME.

I have yet to figure out the dormancy thing myself, so no help there. I've heard that after they flower is when they need a dormant period, but mine hasn't flowered so....

cooler temps and lots of CO2 are needed to keep these plants happy. mid 70s would be on the high side....

You will know when they go dormant because they will not produce any more leaves, and it will appear to "die." Take it out and let it dry out for a couple of months (I keep bulbs in the cabinet under my tank) and pop it back in the water, it should come back to life. This may not be the prescribed way to go about it, but it works for me, possibly by accident!

Are you suppose to keep it slightly damp in the dormant period, or flat out dry? Maybe I'll read about it in Kasselman. I remember reading that they need extremely clean, clear water or the lace will clog with algae.

Kasselmann says "no dry period!" but I guess I got lucky. I think the hardest part about them is keeping them looking good in the aquarium, especially the lower temps, which is most often overlooked.

Hi again. I just want to say thanks for all the helpful info. Trimming all but one or two leaves actually is rather conveniant since there's actually only one really healthy looking leaf on there right now. I just hope this thing doesn't completely die off on me. As for the low temp requirement, it looks as though I may have to rethink my plans for eventually adding it to my discus tank. :(

Back
Top Bottom