Mebbid's high tech 40b journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh yeah, I had a rather small piece of mopani that I boiled for over 18 hours and soaked for a week before putting it in my tank, and 2 years later it is still leeching tannins. I'm convinced mopani is just one big tannin.
If it didn't look soo nice I would hate it :)

That German ram is a good looking specimen...
Thanks! They are locally bred here in town so there's no worry about sickly fish pumped full of hormones :) I'm still waiting for them to have a successful clutch of eggs to raise, but they are still young so it will happen eventually.

What kind of rocks do you have in there? I like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What kind of rocks do you have in there? I like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No idea, I bought a 90g tank off of craigslist and they gave me all their aquarium stuff including a pile of rocks, about 6 filters, 9 air pumps, and a boat load of fake plants.

Do you guys replace the water every hour or so when boiling? Water saturates and will only pull out so much, I have a bunch of Mopani with no problem. I boiled it for about 2 or 3 hours changing the water when it turned brown. About every half hour.

Do you guys replace the water every hour or so when boiling? Water saturates and will only pull out so much, I have a bunch of Mopani with no problem. I boiled it for about 2 or 3 hours changing the water when it turned brown. About every half hour.

Yep, I changed it whenever it took on the color of a dark tea

Ok I think i got the attachment hack working. This is a test to see if I can sucessfully upload an image.

When water boils, I shut off the fire immediately. Let water cool until it's touchable. Water is dark like black coffee at this point. Dump water into sink. Add hot tap water (to speed up the next boil). Boil again.

If water has visibility of more than 5 to 6 inches deep after the boiled water has cooled down, it's a sign that you are almost done with boiling cycles. At this point the tannin leak will be quite slow in tropical temperatures and easily cleared by your weekly 50% water changes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

if you want to get rid of the Tannins (reddish color in water) try adding Purigen to your filters!! that stuff works miracles!!

Hah yeah, Purigen usually works wonder for me but I have 2 bags of the stuff in my filters and it just can't keep up with the tannin production.

Purigen sucks for removing tannins. It does work, but that's a waste of a Purigen recharge. Carbon is 10x more effective. Toss a bag in your filter for a few days. Replace it with another in a week or two if your tannins persist.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Meh, it's toned down enough that I'm okay with how it's being controlled currently. The initial burst was from the dirt in the tank I'm assuming.

Although, I allowed my water sprite to go a little too long and when I went out of town for 4 days it kind of went absolutely nuts...

oPgHYuh.jpg

1 bag of purigen removes the tannins in my 55g from this piece of wood just fine.. so I dunno what you people are complaining about.. as for watersprite growing.. duhh it grows fast.. I have to clip mine every week I throw away tons from all my tanks.. Watersprite doesn't need dirt to explode.. I can put it in gravel and itll blow up.. or hang it on sucktion cups on the glass..

Also PAR means nothing when it comes to BBA... I had it explode in my 55g below and im using 1 single duel T5 Normal output light my par with that light is somewhere around 30-40... my par is nothing compared to your 140... I have come to conclude that BBA grows no matter what... High light.. low light.. CO2 or no CO2.. I have tried it all and it grows with everything. No one really knows why it grows... Do you know how many people I have read say its a CO2 issue but when people increase CO2 diffusion or add it.. it still stays ? Or how many people like you claim TOO much lighting causes it.. I have had it grow in tanks with a T8 light and nothing more..

Just thought id give you some advice since you love going in my threads and slapping me in the face about my discus. You clearly do not know a lot about what you are talking about half the time

img_3127005_0_bd2bb34346c567d959b1570daa98ad37.jpg

1 bag of purigen removes the tannins in my 55g from this piece of wood just fine.. so I dunno what you people are complaining about.. as for watersprite growing.. duhh it grows fast.. I have to clip mine every week I throw away tons from all my tanks.. Watersprite doesn't need dirt to explode.. I can put it in gravel and itll blow up.. or hang it on sucktion cups on the glass..

Also PAR means nothing when it comes to BBA... I had it explode in my 55g below and im using 1 single duel T5 Normal output light my par with that light is somewhere around 30-40... my par is nothing compared to your 140... I have come to conclude that BBA grows no matter what... High light.. low light.. CO2 or no CO2.. I have tried it all and it grows with everything. No one really knows why it grows... Do you know how many people I have read say its a CO2 issue but when people increase CO2 diffusion or add it.. it still stays ? Or how many people like you claim TOO much lighting causes it.. I have had it grow in tanks with a T8 light and nothing more..

Just thought id give you some advice since you love going in my threads and slapping me in the face about my discus. You clearly do not know a lot about what you are talking about half the time

img_3127030_0_bd2bb34346c567d959b1570daa98ad37.jpg

Ok wow......

Different pieces of wood can contain different levels of tannins, so many variables come into play on the level of tannins released from wood and the amount of purigen required to remove it. 1 bag isn't going to remove it for everyone. They may have a denser wood. Some hardwoods have a rich red colour to them, you can boil them for hours and still get coffee....

I think the dirt is going to give an extra kick too. Like come on, how much more natural ferts do you want to get. Put water sprite a known fast growing plant in three tanks all have the same lighting same water volume and levels of co2. Only difference is they all have different substrates with one being dirted, one sand and one gravel. Which one is going to grow the quickest???

I've never had BBA in any tanks some run co2 some don't. Nothing is high light but medium to low. I've had diatoms for a sustained period of time but that's it, it's good when it goes I remember that I have to dose ferts again. If I forget to turn my timer on before going away after fiddling with the tank with the lights not operating on the timer then I may get some BGA....

BBA doesn't grow no matter what just for people who are arrogant and stuck in their own ways of thinking they're right. :)
Good day

I have about 120 PAR and do not have any BBA. This is due to high levels of CO2 and proper phosphates. Adding CO2 will not kill BBA. Adding CO2 will increase you plant growth which in turn will out compete algae from occurring. Adding CO2 will NEVER kill ANY algae.

I am going to stay out of this since it seems personal, but there is no room in the forum to try to make yourself look "smart" by spreading false information. Good luck with your tank and give Mebbid's root tabs a try they really work!

Ok wow......

Different pieces of wood can contain different levels of tannins, so many variables come into play on the level of tannins released from wood and the amount of purigen required to remove it. 1 bag isn't going to remove it for everyone. They may have a denser wood. Some hardwoods have a rich red colour to them, you can boil them for hours and still get coffee....

I think the dirt is going to give an extra kick too. Like come on, how much more natural ferts do you want to get. Put water sprite a known fast growing plant in three tanks all have the same lighting same water volume and levels of co2. Only difference is they all have different substrates with one being dirted, one sand and one gravel. Which one is going to grow the quickest???

I've never had BBA in any tanks some run co2 some don't. Nothing is high light but medium to low. I've had diatoms for a sustained period of time but that's it, it's good when it goes I remember that I have to dose ferts again. If I forget to turn my timer on before going away after fiddling with the tank with the lights not operating on the timer then I may get some BGA....

BBA doesn't grow no matter what just for people who are arrogant and stuck in their own ways of thinking they're right. :)
Good day

+10000

His post took a big, unexpected turn...

I have about 120 PAR and do not have any BBA. This is due to high levels of CO2 and proper phosphates. Adding CO2 will not kill BBA. Adding CO2 will increase you plant growth which in turn will out compete algae from occurring. Adding CO2 will NEVER kill ANY algae.

I am going to stay out of this since it seems personal, but there is no room in the forum to try to make yourself look "smart" by spreading false information. Good luck with your tank and give Mebbid's root tabs a try they really work!

Thank you Bcarl.

1 bag of purigen removes the tannins in my 55g from this piece of wood just fine.. so I dunno what you people are complaining about..

Mopani is well known for leeching HUGE amounts of tannins. Much more than than any other type of drift wood out there. My piece in particular has been going strong leeching tannins for over a year. Add in the fact that it is dirted which releases more tannins and it overloads the purigen.

as for watersprite growing.. duhh it grows fast.. I have to clip mine every week I throw away tons from all my tanks.. Watersprite doesn't need dirt to explode.. I can put it in gravel and itll blow up.. or hang it on sucktion cups on the glass..
Not sure what your point in this statement is

BBA does not grow no matter what. Anyone that knows anything about planted tanks can tell you that. It grows because there is an imbalance between co2, light, and ferts. Most commonly it's because there's not enough co2 or too long of a light period. If you fixed your tanks it wouldn't grow for you.

Apparently there are dozens of people on this forum that "slap you in the face about your discus" You sir are in denial about your unethical fish keeping practices and I truly feel sorry for your fish.

Sweet!! Hope he likes BBA!!! Bahhhhhh hahaha :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom