Middle tank plant ideas needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
This would be for my 16g bowfront. Low-medium lighting, no CO2, I use root tabs and Flourish.

Back of the tank I have a bunch of jungle vals and a few Amazon swords; front is all dwarf sag. Currently in the middle I have a few stems of both moneywort and ludwigia repens. Those two grow quickly and I'm frequently trimming. I wouldn't mind removing them if I have the option(s) for something else. Between those and the vals I have a lot of long thin plants right now. Is there something shrubbier, bushier (can't think of a better word!) that would work for me? (no crypts please)

edit: I do have dwarf water lettuce floating, so far hasn't affected lighting for the other plants

Thanks!

Not a ton of options for lower light tanks when you eliminate crypts, but maybe look into the following:

Wisteria
Water sprite
Echinodorus parviflorus
Short leaved Java Fern like "philippine"

Sent from my iPad using science

Ok here's a pic of the tank if that helps in any way...

img_3163409_0_48e9a4ce11ba1a464f2a69e24ae9946c.jpg

Really nice tank. Maybe a line of hygrophila corymbosa would look good there. The leaves would break up the grassy look into separate parts.

Really nice setup though, love it!

I love my fish!!!

I second the nomination for Java Fern. They need very little attention aside from trimming off the old leaves when they turn brown. They also tend to propigate a lot of baby plants that you can grow out and place elsewhere. It's the plant that keeps on giving.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I started with five java ferns and have never needed to buy any more, even though I got two (and a half) more tanks. I now have about ten in each aquarium.

Thanks again for the comments. I don't feel confident at all with aquascaping and was very hesitant to post a pic.

As far as the java ferns would you suggest just placing a few in the middle between the ludwigia and moneywort?

Thanks again for the comments. I don't feel confident at all with aquascaping and was very hesitant to post a pic.

As far as the java ferns would you suggest just placing a few in the middle between the ludwigia and moneywort?

Sure, just not EXACTLY in the middle, left to right. Always shift things a little bit to one side or the other. The Rule of Thirds. :) And just in case you aren't familiar with Java Fern, they should be tied to a rock or driftwood. If you bury the rhizome under the substrate, it will rot and the plant will die. They feed entirely from the water column.

I'd go with a red tiger lotus. It will add some color and the large lobed leaves wull add contrast and texture.

Back
Top Bottom