Moderate light 29gallon, with a moderate budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malkore

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm putting my 29gallon back into service as a medium light planted tank, done as cheaply as possible.

Since I'm normally promoting high light/tech tanks which can come close to a humble reef setup price-wise, I figured this would be a great chance to show how you can do something cheaply that still works for a lot of plant types...and actually ends up being a little easier on the maintenance.

So here are my tips:

1. keep the lighting fixtures cheap. I bought twin fluorescent lighting at my local Menard's (it's a home builders chain, at least here in Nebraska..a little bit cheaper than Home Depot). They were marked $14, but only rang up $8.96, so I ended up buying 2 of them. they hold 2 foot tubes, which gives me 4x20watts of lighting.... 80 watts.

2. don't spend a fortune on bulbs. Even at the local pet store chains, a 20watt coralife bulb, in the 6,700k range is $19! You can get a GE plant & aquarium bulb at your Home Depot/Lowes/Menard's for $8, and I'm pretty sure its similar to the GE 9325k's that so many of us love. So I grabbed 2 of those. I already had a 10,000k and a 6,500k that were slightly used...perfect for balancing out the pink GE bulbs.

3. build a cheap canopy. the 29gallon was the first tank I built a canopy for. I used Poplar 1x8 lumber, tho 1x6 would work too. There are a ton of canopy plans on the web...just google "DIY aquarium canopy" - depends on tank size and lumber used, but about $40 for the 29gallon.

4. cheap substrate. I used quickcrete playsand, 50lb bag. why? because I bought it for the saltwater tank, then decided to 'do it right' and buy argonite sand. $2.50 for 50lbs! It looks nice too. You can always get a root tab fertilization kit, and make root tabs very inexpensively.

5. a little DIY CO2. Its cheap, easy, and even on a 29gallon, totally doable. Do not fear the CO2, it's not as likely to make a mess as you may have heard.

And now, the photos! The compacta sword is real, but the other plants on the right are plastic

Very nice Malkore!! Great info, and DYI's!!! :wink:

OFF TOPIC***I think I will build a similiar light set up to go over my sump, what do you think?

I don't see why it wouldn't work over a sump Rev. a daylight and an actinic03 bulb and you're set.

Back
Top Bottom