Murky Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshenanagins

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my planted 40B has been up and running since January and it has for the longest time remained somewhat opaque. I had lots of particles floating around but I believe that was algae or some type of plankton I could be wrong. Broke down the tank yesterday due to a massive algae infestation and got rid of what I could see. Now its better not as much floating particles or BBA. What I can't understand is why I cant see perfectly through my tank yet. Its not green water already checked. I think it might be a lack of filtration power from my 304? Its only rated for 75 gallons and with the plants it may be too much for the filer. Thinking of getting a Rena xp3 it has over 100GPH more than the 304. i have an xp4 and love it works great on my turtle tank crystal clear.

Pics always help. My driftwood today has some strange growth which looks like some type of algae maybe thread algae? And my swords are covered in bba I believe.

Attachments

• image-1001850036.jpg
    image-1001850036.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 79
  • image-2246651179.jpg
    image-2246651179.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 78
  • image-1517940410.jpg
    image-1517940410.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 67
Have you tried using a lot of fiberfill or some type of polish pad in the filter. One that can trap fine particles. I can't see what your talking about on the DW but it looks like detris being held together by algae sticking to the plant. Try the fiberfill/polishing pad in the filter but then start using your hand to gently wave around the plants trying to loosen the detris right before doing your WC. Also do it during the week to help the filter pull more detris out of the tank. Also run your lights only for 6 hours to see if it helps with the algae. Does it clear up at all after a WC?

Have you tried using a lot of fiberfill or some type of polish pad in the filter. One that can trap fine particles. I can't see what your talking about on the DW but it looks like detris being held together by algae sticking to the plant. Try the fiberfill/polishing pad in the filter but then start using your hand to gently wave around the plants trying to loosen the detris right before doing your WC. Also do it during the week to help the filter pull more detris out of the tank. Also run your lights only for 6 hours to see if it helps with the algae. Does it clear up at all after a WC?

I put some polyfll in the tank today. And it doesn't really get better with water changes idk what it is. What's covering the plants in black and grey and annoying as hell. I almost quit the other day and broke down the tank. I started going just six hours of light, which sucks cuz the tank is pitch black the rest of the day. Anyway I think I don't have enough plants in there because it seems the algae just wants to overrun everything. With the exception of the Hygrophila angustifolia everything is covered in gunk. Since using co2 my java fern has perked up with lots of fresh leaves, but my anubias nana is suffering, and my micro swords are pretty stagnant. Any plant recommendations? Getting tired of no progress.

I had something along these lines in a tank a few years back and honestly I would go into the tank at least 2x daily and use my hand to stir up the detris by running my hand through the plants to shake it off and just causing enough current to get the gunk up in the water where the filter could pull it out. I also had to change the polyfill a lot but eventually it did clear the tank. I also trimmed the plants that were trimable down so the detris couldn't settle on the leaves so easily during this time. I also increased my liquid carbon and did 2 WC's a week. I think it took 2-4 weeks to finally get the tank straight. But I would first get the tank straightened out with getting the gunk out and then add more plants. If you add plants right now they are going to get gunked up also. Also if you happen to have a UV I'd throw it on also. If after a WC the water just reclouds that indicates your having a constant bacterial bloom. Have you checked your Ph? Also what plants are in there now and what is your lighting so I can maybe recommend plants.

Hey just an update, the polyfill worked great the tank really cleared up. Once I feed and get close my shark, loaches, and corries stir up the substrate but overall HUGE improvement. Ill keep checking on the polyfill to keep the detris at bay thanks again!

Aren't cheap fixes great! I love the stuff and am glad your tank cleared.

Yeah definitely! My uncle today suggested I get micron filter to add to my tank, what's your say on that? I know it's not completely necessary but I know it takes care of a lot of the tiny stuff floating around in the tank.

Those can be a pain in the rear! Way back in the day I used to use Diatomaceous earth filters. They work great but clog so fast and just IMO a pain to deal with. The fiberfloss should work fine. Something else you can try is after the floss gets the water pretty clear try adding Purgen to the filter and see if it polishes the water.

Gotcha, I'm not going to get one just curious. I just came home from my cruise today and the tank is crystal clear!!!! I was worried while I was gone that it would be a mess and possibly some fish loss but everything is great! My family just rolls their eyes when they see me tending to the tank, they think it's crazy but we all know its really not. Worth every PIA water change.

Yep I enjoy working in the tanks and never really see it as work, well except for cleaning the canisters on the goldie tanks...yuck! The thing is do you find your family sitting and watching the fish tank enjoying it also? Mine did and does so I just ignore the "and your doing that again why" look... lol!

Yep I enjoy working in the tanks and never really see it as work, well except for cleaning the canisters on the goldie tanks...yuck! The thing is do you find your family sitting and watching the fish tank enjoying it also? Mine did and does so I just ignore the "and your doing that again why" look... lol!

Oh yeah all the time! They mock and get annoyed that it "consumes" me. Yet I find them all just standing in front of it googlie eyed like "wow." I agree I don't see it as work, if I did I would have stopped a while ago lol. I enjoy building things and adding new fish/plants. My latest project was the co2 and so far looking good. I had a leak early on with my milwaukee but nothing a little plumbers tape didn't solve. My homemade reactor is working excellent. I'm looking for a nice carpeting plant that's not as big of a pain as HC but still attractive and spreads fairly quickly. Any suggestions?

Honestly since your angels are pickers too your going to have to do some trial and error. The veggie routine should help a lot but I ended up using the Downoi and the Alternanthera Reinekii mini as carpets. You should try a front area with the Downoi I sent and if it takes off you can cut side crowns off and replant making your carpeted area of it bigger and bigger. I know my angels pick at the Glosso as much as HC so that is why I went a little out of the box for carpeting plants.

I actually don't have angels lol but my corries like to dig up anything that's not secure. I was thinking Pygmy chain swords in the front and micro in the back?

Yeah sorry I was thinking of Brenda's tank... lol! Cory's might be okay with Glosso if you have a high light tank. I'm not a fan of the Micro and Chain swords as they take forever to carpet. Have you thought about Blyxa japonica? Much nicer looking IMO.

Back
Top Bottom