My FIRST Build Thread!!!!!20gallon high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i was out biking yesterday and guess what i found at a tag sale? a 20 gallon fishtank, with a filter, heater, and gravel that wereill unopened! all for $40! So i bought it soon afterwards, and now its on my desk, waiting to be used! i decided to start a build thread. In here is going my platys from my old tank, a cutting of water wisteria, and some other fish. Now that i have more space, im planning to use the rocks ive found in it.!!! Id post pics, but i cant find my cord for my camera......... I cleaned out the tank, and the gravel, and tomorrow i plant to get a cover for it. Im SOOOOOOOO excited!!!!!

I got around to getting a cover! I set up the tank, and the filter, heater, and other electrical stuff is running. I'm planning on a fishless cycle.

Yay!!!!! Now my gravel is finally in!!! The Water pH is fine, and soon ill add my plants. im planning on java fern, java moss, alot of anubias, micro swords, and a carpet plant. Anyone have any good ideas for the carpet plant?

Here's my stocking plan so far:

3 platys
4 julii corys
3 otos
6 cherry barbs

any comments?

What kind types of lights, wattage, k rating etc. do you have?

Most carpet plants need a great deal of light, fertz and co2.

The other plants you mentioned will probably be okay under lowlight with minimal or no fertz. Swords will need a fert in immature substrate though.

That sounds like an awesome find! So watching this!:popcorn: I know that mosses do good for carpets. I would up the number of cories to 6, and maybe take out the platies because that cause a lot of mess, and otto need groups of 5.

What kind types of lights, wattage, k rating etc. do you have?

Most carpet plants need a great deal of light, fertz and co2.

The other plants you mentioned will probably be okay under lowlight with minimal or no fertz. Swords will need a fert in immature substrate though.

The moss i was thinking of was java moss on a piece of slate... i have somefertilizer already

BIG NEWS!!!

My cousins rummynoses gave birth, so ill get some fish for free! im thinking rummys instead of cherrys now?

I start to see alot of fish supplies now, at tag sales and stuff... no new tanks though lol.

I have a quick question. if i add water (say a galllon) fronm my old tank will it speed up the nitrogen cycle? thanks

No it wouldn't. Only filter media, and decor can speed up the nirtrogen cycle.

Yup, that'd help. If you have some filter media that would be best, the worst looking stuff that you have, cut a little out and stick it in the tank:) Hopefully that will speed up your cycle!

sounds like a plan. so anyway, got my new fish today. i decided to get some moon platys instead of using my old ones! they are in my qt right now, and once the cycles done, they're going in.

Im pretty excited! The ammonia i added is starting to go down, and nitrites are starting to come up! no nitrates yet, but im hoping it will be done soon! i added my first plant today. I read somewhere that if i add plants early, algae will not come as fast. Finally found my camera cord! will post pics as soon as i can.

for some reason, i think the old owner didnt scrub the glass hard enough. i seem to already have algae blossoming in my tank.

im testing the water before i log off for the night. im really happy with the results! ammonia is barely here, nitrites starting to go down, and i have my first nitrates! the cycle seems to be almost done!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The cycle seems to be done!!!!! 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 15 ppm nitrates! Im taking some good shots right now. will post pics of platy soon. I added the rest of my plants, along with some molly fry i picked up today. Im thinking i could get enough bred to try something i heard about with mollies.

Back
Top Bottom