My first dirted bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharpchick

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Actually, it's a vase I found at Target. It measures 12 inches high, 9 inches wide at the bottom, and 7 inches wide at the top. It holds about 2 1/4 gallons of water after the substrate was put in.

Flora:
Narrow leaf java fern
Anubias nana - both of these are tied to the skinny driftwood that sticks out of the vase about 4 inches. I hate to cut it off. I'll have to study on that...
Hygrophila corymbosa stricta - I call it the "little" hygro, but I'm not sure if there really is any such thing
Dwarf amazon sword
Water onion bulb

Fauna:
I don't know that I want any livestock in here. I certainly won't put a fish in it. I've never kept shrimp before, but have found a wonderful new LFS about 20 miles from me, and they keep RCS. (They also do not keep their bettas in bowls - they are in tanks. I think I found some new heroes.)

73133-albums11974-picture53705.jpg

I'm not through with it yet. I plan to add a cryptocoryne parva or lucens, and a corkscrew val. I also want some frogbit to float to partially shade the java fern.

I don't guess I can say it's no tech, because I am lighting it with a clamp on desk lamp above it with a 13 watt CFL about 8 inches above the vase, until I can tell how much light it needs.

Just looked up at how I titled this thread.

My *first* dirted bowl.

Almost scary.

Last edited:
Wow! That looks awesome!

I was wondering if rcs could be in a tank without a heater
Im guessing u dont have a heater in there
If they cant, i think a betta would look awesome the the bowl.
I just did some research, and im hearing mixed responses. Some say u dont need one, others say they are a necessity.

Wow! That looks awesome!

I was wondering if rcs could be in a tank without a heater
Im guessing u dont have a heater in there
If they cant, i think a betta would look awesome the the bowl.
I just did some research, and im hearing mixed responses. Some say u dont need one, others say they are a necessity.

Thanks.

I don't know if RCS are good without a heater or not. I'll ask the folks at the LFS.

No betta in the bowl. My bettas have tanks, even the two who have 4 gallon Aqueon Evolves. Just my personal thing - bettas need filters and some decent sized real estate.

Thanks, guys.

It's kind of a way to indulge my MTS.

It's also a challenge to see if I can get a lush look in a very small space...

Awesome idea, great look!

It's not an idea I dreamed up. There's a planted tank forum where several folks have tank/bowl journals. One woman has 5 or 6 of them - drop dead gorgeous, BTW. Some of them are even smaller than the standard 1 gallon fish bowl. People find the neatest bowls/vases/whatevers.

Anywhere you can get some decent light, you can have a planted bowl.

I'm sorry but I love this idea. I would love to have some of my ghost shrimp in one of these. Let me know if the lighting you are using currently work!

Is that forum on this site or another one? Is it possible to paste the link here? Sound like fun!

I love the way yours looks.

Thanks for sharing!

Jana

I would like the link too that'd be great!!' I seriously love this idea and I see interesting glass bowls/vases a lot that idk what to do with!

Yes, it's The Planted Tank.

The woman with multiple bowls and vases is xenxes. She has links in her sig to her build threads for each one of them.

You can also search the Planted Nano Tanks forum for "bowl" or "vase" and pull up a bunch of threads.

I would like the link too that'd be great!!' I seriously love this idea and I see interesting glass bowls/vases a lot that idk what to do with!

Yeah, I'm starting to pause to look at anything resembling a vase, bowl or jar most everywhere I go...

There are red/burgandy/purple mystery snails that look really neat. I dunno much about other snails but check aquabid, there are usually really neat snails on there.

Edited to add, while I do have mystery snails I'm not sure on the general 'rules' of filters on snail tanks...

Back
Top Bottom