My Plant Questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alia258

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, so I have two questions for you guys. First of all, how do I get more of this plant (pic below). Can I pull off a stalk or two with roots attached and just re-plant them? Or do they have seeds? I don't know the species of the plant, but if needed I will look it up! (the water level is a little low right now, I will fill it up in a few)

View attachment 79141

And also I got these two plants from a spring water river. How can I make it safe to put with my fish? And if it's no safe for my fish, I there anything special I'll have to do to keep them alive (in a separate container)?

View attachment 79142

Please help me!!! I'm going to be seperatly planting the plants (using the water from the aquarium) and still need your help on info!

Swords will reproduce with runners. I wouldn't recommend splitting the plant.

Mohican, can you explain in a little more detail on how my current plants reproduce? I wanted to have another one in my tank from one I already have ^^

Haha starka, I see you everywhere ^^ I think I migh look it up online, they're called spears, right?

:p
I'm everywhere!
Plants are so expensive nowadays I have a lot of different swords and would love to know how to split them. :)

they reproduce by sending off shoots underneath the gravel. when the shoots (runner) stops, it will start to grow roots and grow leaves. when the new plant has nice roots and some decent sized leaves, you can trim off the runner and replant it somewhere else. i also would not recommend splitting them, i did that and they all died.

zach_1_6 said:
i dont think you can "make" them send runners, they will on their own when they are healthy enough.

So kinda like a spider plant? Interesting.

Amazons send a "daughter" plant either in the gravel or up through the water column. It looks like a stem basically, but it will eventaully grow bulbs (or small knots). As they develop, leaves and roots will develop. Once the daughter plants have approx. min. 5 leaves each, you can cut the stem from near the base of the main plant or just fold the stem and plant directly. I was able to plant 3 of the 5 from one of my plants. Only 1 of my 12 amazons have had a daughter plant. The conditions have to be just right; and only the plant can determine what that is. All we can do is provide plants what they need to survive, but sometimes that isn't enough. Hope this shed some light from my experience.

Well I guess patience is what's gonna get me through this one, isn't it?

For daughter plants, yep. I wish my larger swords would reproduce, they look better than the one plant that actually did.

Back
Top Bottom