My Plant Questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
skywhitney said:
Thats what i'd recommend but make sure the is put in QT. i've seen some very weird and bad nastys come from store plants!

Ya its in a floating bowl with some ferts and tank water. I've done this twice and as long as they are not too far gone most of them come back.

Hmmm.. I never quarantined my plants before...

Lol well quarintine is what i meant! :)

If everything you get is infected with all sorts of parasites and illnesses then you might want to consider getting your stuff online or from other aquarists in your area. Have you looked in any local clubs?

When I buy infected fish, I go the easy route and just dose with medicine. My fish are healthy now! Except my pleco...he's having problems...poor Oscar, he looks like he's in pain! And I don't know how to fix the poor guys problems! :*(

Plant ID needed! Need Help!

I put an album up with pics of my melon sword. But now I'm not so sure it's a melon sword, because the baby leaves grow up green, not red. Can you help me identify it please? And the stems are really REALLY long! I think my first assumption was wrong. It also seems to want to grow up and out of my tank, how do I prevent this? Can I cut it a certain way to make it grow shorter? (my mom keeps saying to cut it to the base, because that's what you do with plants that live in the air, but because we're talking about aquatic plants, I thought it'd be a good idea to ask)

I can't post pics directly to posts anymore for some reason. It says my quota has been reached. I went on the computer to try to delete the pics, but they didn't show up. You can just click/tap on my avatar pic and then click photos and then I clearly labeled everything in there. I'm sorry! I don't know what's wrong with this thing!

Go to your user panel or UCP I forget what its called the option will be on the left. Its been and go to attachments. There you can delete pictures in previous posts to allow for more room.

I hope that's right. It's been a while since I've been on my PC since there's a app for the iPhone I live on my phone anyway.

Good luck.

Wait! Do you know how to delete those pics off the iPhone app??? That's my main way of doing things on here too!!!

Well I'm no help about the pruning, but I do know that red coloration only develops on plants when they have high lighting. It's a pigment like chlorophyll that uses the red wavelengths instead of the green for photosynthesis. You can only keep red plants well in mid to high lighting from my understanding.

alia258 said:
Wait! Do you know how to delete those pics off the iPhone app??? That's my main way of doing things on here too!!!

No you have to go to your PC to delete photos or you can become a supporting member and you will get ALOT more room for pictures and messages and more!!

I have a 10g tank and according to other people, I have mid/high lighting. Still confused about the length though. I was reading online and they were saying that melon swords in their submersed form had little to no stems, and had a tendency to spread horizontally unless the light source was farther away. My light source is in my tank lid, not far away. And theres no way that it can still be in its emersed form, I got it in the middle of last year

Oh well, convict, I went onto the Internet earlier today but it wouldn't even let me view the photos that I posted (or I just didn't find them) please help me!

alia258 said:
Oh well, convict, I went onto the Internet earlier today but it wouldn't even let me view the photos that I posted (or I just didn't find them) please help me!

I'm gonna go to my PC now. PM me I'll walk you through it.

Okay!!! I have pics now!!! Yay!!!

When I first got them:

View attachment 79949

A little more recently taken:

View attachment 79952

View attachment 79951

View attachment 79950

Some taken yesterday and today:

View attachment 79955

View attachment 79954

View attachment 79953

Please excuse the foggy water in my recent pics! My filter broke and right then all this horribly nasty crap came out of the gravel and ruined the water so all my BB died and now I finally got a new filter and the tank is re-cycling and should be crystal clear by today or tomorrow. And also, I have a bunch of little anacharis plants, aren't they cool? I like a more sparse and open design myself ^^

You could, but the plant will probably die. Be patient :) if you cant wait, make a trip to the lfs.

As long as you trim an equal part of the leaves off the plant will bounce back. That is how most people plant stems when they get them. They'll cut about 2-3" off the tops and take a few inches off the roots. Some say it promotes new growth faster but I do it just so the roots are more manageable for planting purposes.

So let's say I cut the roots to about 4-5 inches when I moved them around without thinking, then I should probly pull some leaves off?

Back
Top Bottom