My plants are dying.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrushYrTeeth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got plants for my first planted tank about a week ago. They are turning brown and falling apart.
Any guesses why?
I already know my nitrates are high and im doing frequent water changes to fix it. I also bought a new light to see if thatd help. Any other advice?

Attachments

• 5463D478-BCDF-49B8-B3F6-CD8CAC5AD237.jpg
    5463D478-BCDF-49B8-B3F6-CD8CAC5AD237.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 36
  • F6411253-375F-4343-9F10-B7CA8F510663.jpg
    F6411253-375F-4343-9F10-B7CA8F510663.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 36
Hello Brush...

Yes. It appears your lighting isn't strong enough. The leaves on top may be shading those below. Anyway, it would be a good idea to research the lighting needs of the plants you have to see if you're giving it to them. Most plants that need to be planted in the bottom material will do well with strong light.

B

Hello Brush...

Yes. It appears your lighting isn't strong enough. The leaves on top may be shading those below. Anyway, it would be a good idea to research the lighting needs of the plants you have to see if you're giving it to them. Most plants that need to be planted in the bottom material will do well with strong light.

B
Thank you! Thats what i figured was happening. Im picking up a stronger light after i get out of class today

You need to propagate your bunch plants. When you get bunch plants you need to take a few minutes and take them apart. Meaning, remove the lead weight. Lay the stem out separate. Remove about 2 inches (varies on size of stems) of leaves from the bottom of each stem.

Them cut the lead weight into four smaller pieces. If you have 6 separate stems, bunch them two stems each with a small lead weight to keep them sunk. Don’t plant them just yet unless they have roots. Plant them about 2 inches apart.

This will prevent them from competing for light the issue you are having.

Back
Top Bottom