My tank + problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lemonsun1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello guys, here is my two month old 65 gallons. Everything seems to be fine, except that black stuff on my plants (please see the second picture).
Plants doesn't seem to mind, and grow very rapidly, but i would like to see clean and green leafs :)

I'd appreciate any advise.

P.S. I am sorry for the quality of the images, i took it with my phone.

Attachments

• IMAG0013.jpg
    IMAG0013.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 182
  • IMAG0016.jpg
    IMAG0016.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 184
My plants did the same. I would wipe them off gently and continue doing PWC. It went away after a few weeks of showing up I was told it was brown algae and is normal in a newly planted tank.
I am curious what the other more experienced will say. :)

You could do a blackout for 3 days...

Do maintenance on filter, 50% water change, feed the fish and then shut off lights for 3 days(no co2/ferts either) and crank up aerator. If it gets sunlight, block sides.

Should look better after 3 days. I've done this several times and it does seem to help. Plants come back fine every time. I think the lack of algae on the leaves makes up for 3 days of lost light.

My plants did the same. I would wipe them off gently and continue doing PWC. It went away after a few weeks of showing up I was told it was brown algae and is normal in a newly planted tank.
I am curious what the other more experienced will say. :)

I've tried to wipe it off, but it's hardly comes off

You could do a blackout for 3 days...

Do maintenance on filter, 50% water change, feed the fish and then shut off lights for 3 days(no co2/ferts either) and crank up aerator. If it gets sunlight, block sides.

Should look better after 3 days. I've done this several times and it does seem to help. Plants come back fine every time. I think the lack of algae on the leaves makes up for 3 days of lost light.

I'm going to try this. Do you feed your fish during those 3 days?

^You have to be a member to see that link. Good link though.

Here's another link. What you're seeing is diatoms. It can present itself in the rusty looking type, or a fuzzy type.

Thank you for your replies!

I turned lights off a day ago, so for now i'll keep it off for two more.

Will report back

UPDATE: I kept my tank dark for 3 days. Plants are looking much better now, although they are not entirely clean.

Also, I've made a discovery: a small snail in the tank. My only guess is that it got in with the substrate.

Attachments

• IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 110
I had a snail problem once, they came from my lfs hiding in the plants. after I saw the first one, a month later I had 200+. Then there hard to get rid of, I picked them out by hand for hours.

Look into yoyo loaches, good fish in community won't get all 2 big, 6inch I think and they are bottom feeders. They do a great job, I have 6. Best part about yoyos is they eat baby/small snails. Since I bought them havn't had a single snail problem.

Back
Top Bottom