Need advice: Starting heavily planted 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay well a 55g is 13" so maybe I'll do 75. I'll try and find it on the site thanks

I have one on a 55g that has a 75% beam angle and when I turn the light on 100% (I suggest getting the timer and don't forget to order the feet) the light is quite high. I actually only run it on 100% 4 hours and then run it about 50% for 2-4 hours.

I have one on a 55g that has a 75% beam angle and when I turn the light on 100% (I suggest getting the timer and don't forget to order the feet) the light is quite high. I actually only run it on 100% 4 hours and then run it about 50% for 2-4 hours.

Alright I shall do the same! Play around with my light levels as needed. Now is using root tabs always a good idea or will that cause excess nutrients if I'm doing the PPS Pro method?

The 75% beam angle will actually give you a higher Par as well.

Heavy root feeders like swords, crypts, wisteria, and bulb plants still need root tabs. I dose PPS-Pro in all my tanks and use root tabs on the plants that need them.

Excellent, thanks again for the advice. I got the tank today. The edges appear to JUST protrude from the side of the stand, do you think it'll be alright? I can't tell if it's just trim around the tank that's hanging off or if some of the glass itself is over the edge. Here's what it looks like ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393464308.921798.jpg

The feet when attached are on a slide plate which you screw down when the feet are in the proper position to sit on the rim of the tank. It's odd the fixture would be bigger than the tank since they are made to fit specific tank lengths.

Well I bought the stand off kijiji and either it's just short of 4 feet or the tank itself is just over four feet with the extensions at the bottom. I'm just wondering if the tank is gonna be supported well enough with the edges being just over the side of the stand like that.

I can't really answer that question but many people will tell you it won't support the tank properly.

Hmm yeah that's what I figured. Pretty sure I've read really the only important places to make sure are supported is the perimeter of the tank. I'll have to figure something out. Because I don't want to buy another stand. Might just have to do the ol' plywood under the tank and hang a curtain or a flag or something to cover up the ugliness. It's a pretty old looking stand anyway so no harm done I suppose.

Okay so I have another question, can you replace the bulbs when they die on the Build My LED fixtures or would I have to spend another $375 down the road to get a new one made and shipped to me?

You might be able to but honestly its probably just as expensive to buy a whole new fixture. The bulbs should last at minimum 10 years or so...

Yeah I just mathed it out and I'm not too worried anymore, estimated life expectancy is 50,000 hours so at 6-8 hours a day it'll last 17-22 years. I'll be done university by then so all is well!

Okay so another question, when using PPS Pro, is there a period of time that is too early to put the fertilizer in before the lights go on? I work shift work so I may not always be available just an hour before the lights come on, I may have to put it in like 3 hours before. Would that be harmful to the fish or is that fine?

That will be just fine. The ferts wont hurt anything. As long as you are regularly dosing the ferts then everything will go swimmingly.

Alright perfect, all is well then :) the light is in the process of being assembled. I'll probably make a journal of the set up and progress of the tank

So I need some guidance on what CO2 system to buy. I've tried reading a few articles and I still don't get what everything is and does. Price point does not necessarily matter, but I'd prefer not to spend a ton of money. I've been looking at what GLA has to offer because I've read good things, and I've been looking at this one because it's one of the cheapest.
http://greenleafaquariums.com/complete-co2-systems/primo-co2-system.html

At that price, would I be better off buying everything separately, or am I gonna spend around the same amount to get all the components? Also, is it a fully complete system or are there other parts I would have to buy? And my last question is about the canister filter inline diffusers, will this system be compatible with doing that? From what I've read it's the best option for getting good CO2 distribution.

Oh right on it even comes with the 4dkh solution. Does the solution have to be replaced every now and then?

And you've had no problems with those parts so far?

Back
Top Bottom