need help with this film.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosshogg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive seen algae before. But nothing like this. This is my first big planted tank. I have quite a bit of little hitchhiker snails inside. But this film actually looks like tiny clear feathers. That's what it looks like to me. I have 2 ottos. Should I leave it for them, or scrape it?

It hard to make out what they are from that pic. Can you get a close-up of one of those white things?

How long has that DW been in that tank?

Is that bad? And what's DW?

I think it can be bad for fry and possibly shrimp. Idk. There is a product you can safely use to remove them but the name escapes me at the moment. I know my tetras tried them (hydra) and spitted them back out. Yuck.

DW = driftwood

DW is short for driftwood.

Hydra's are not wanted in an aquarium. Here's a short article about them but there is tons of info on the net you can get about them. I've never had to deal with them but there are ways to get rid of them, which I personally would. Also compare pic's of them on the net to what is in your tank to verify that is what they are but from what I can tell it sure looks like hydra's to me.

How to Combat the Aquarium Pest Hydra

Hydra polyps are tiny parasites that like to feed on fish fry and shrimplets. They're related to the jelly fish and have tiny stinging tentacles. They're harmless to adult fish but they can get annoyed and somewhat stressed getting little stings. They may have hitch hiked on some plants or something and then multiplied if you over feed.

I've had them twice.. I think they'll slowly die off if you don't overfeed. I've also used fenbenzenole to kill them. The latter being a last option because the use of chemicals should be used with caution.

DW = DriftWood

Edit:

I recall my dwarf gourami eats them. I believe there's some other options for natural predators.. Sparkling gouramis eat them too i believe.

Last edited:
Ok, so I bought 2 dwarf gouramis today. Hopefully that will help. But now I heard they like to eat plants. That's no good. Next I will deal with the snail problems I have. And hopefully my plants will survive.

Ok, so I bought 2 dwarf gouramis today. Hopefully that will help. But now I heard they like to eat plants. That's no good. Next I will deal with the snail problems I have. And hopefully my plants will survive.

Mine would only eat wilting plants. But that's just my experience with them.

Back
Top Bottom