Need Plant Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a High Tech 75 Gallon Tank, Inline Co2, 3x 54watt T5HO fixture, Eco-Complete, with lots of driftwood and some rocks.

My question is is this to many plants or not enough plants to have a densely planted tank.

Echinodorus Bleheri (Amazon Sword) MED x6
Anubias Barteri Var. Nana Narrowleaf x3
Hygrophila Corymbosa x5
Hygrophila Corymbosa 'Kompakt' (Potted) x4

Sagittaria Subulata (Dwarf) x15
Water Wisteria (Hygrophila Difformis) x4
Java Fern (Microsorium Pteropus) x 7

Tell me what you think

img_1560248_0_cf60d2d26df778486fc93c13008b1c0d.jpg

I'm sure others can give you some great advice, because I'm still pretty new myself - but you could definitely get "densely planted" with what you have there. As it grows, just propagate it around the tank.

One thing I could suggest that you don't appear to have on your list is a "background stem plant" that you could use in between the swords to create a diversified background. With the light and Co2 you have there, the swords are probably the only thing on your list that would grow tall in the background rather than wide like a bush (especially the Wisteria).

So you might consider something like a Rotala or Camboba species that you can grow in the background.

Also - i'm not so sure about growing both Anubias Nana and Java Fern on the same lengths of driftwood. Java Fern will grow much faster than the Anubias with your setup, and may eventually overtake and choke out the Anubias if they are started close together.

Rotala I really like and would look good in my tank, I thought that the sword would be nice and thick however i wanted at tall stem plant and thought that water Wisteria would do so. Ill just have to get both :)

Yea, it really depends on how you let the wisteria grow. The stuff I have in my tank is growing under LEDs and it tends to fan out with huge leaves and windy stems along the bottom before it starts getting taller. You could probably trim it tightly and it would stand up well.

I have ordered from them numerous times and had no problems at all. Great plants and good prices. Of course free plants are always good to:)

Lately their service has greatly declined, both in communication and quality. I got my order from them this last Monday that I ordered one the first.... I got half my order. Only got 2 of 3 Blyxa, most of my stems were half dead or covered in some sort of algae, dwarf sag is pretty much dead, and my glosso was more than half dead. Most of the stems are at least growing, but I can't wait until they get large enough to trim off what they sent me as it looks horrible. As previously mention, I only got about 60% of my order too.

Would not recommend.

Also, their plants came with plenty of duckweed, pond snail packets, and at least two live snails.

EDIT: I also ordered the Hygro. Corymbosa and potted 'kompact'. They're out of it. See comments about dwarf sag...

Well unfortunately I ordered from them before I read this but I'm going to give it a try. Snails are well... to be expected. I'm going to toss a few assassin snails in my tank to remedy that issue. Most the plants I ended up ordering are rather hardy plants so hoping for not to many issues. However I paid with an American express card so if they don't send me what I paid for or its all dead they will not be receiving payment.

Back
Top Bottom