125G Low Tech Planted Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nelsontreyjones

Aquarium Advice Activist
125 Gallon Build

I was finally about to get the size take I wanted. For right now this will be a low/medium tech tank. I will be dosing Glutaraldehyde and dosing via EI low light/weekly.

EQUIPMENT
Tank Specs:125G Tank 72" x 18" x 21"
Filtration:Fluval FX6
Lighting:x2 36 " Finnex FugeRay Planted+
Heater:x2 250W Aqueon Pro Heater
Substance:x4 Safe T Sorb 40lb
Misc Equpment:EHEIM Skim 350

FAUNA
Decided
X9 Boesemans Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemani)
X10 False Julii Cory (Corydoras trilineatus)
X3 Oto (Otocinclus vittatus)
X18 Rummynose Tetra (Hemigrammus bleheri)
X2 Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilus siamensis)
X6 Turquoise Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia lacustris)

Undecided
X5 Praecox Rainbow (Melanotaenia praecox) or X5 Black Ruby Barb (Pethia nigrofasciata)
X2 Banjo Catfish (Bunocephalus coracoideus) or x3 Reticulated Hillstream Loach (Sewellia lineolata)

FLORA
Foreground
Dwarf Sagittaria

Midground
Anubias Hastifolia
Cryptocoryne Lutea
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Red ludwigia

Background
Anubias barteri
Echinodorus amazonicus (Amazon Sword)
Jungle Vallisneria
Rotala colorata

Day One:

Got a lot done today. Picked up the tank and moved it in. After that I prepped it so I can spray paint the back. After letting that dry I rotated the tanked and began trying to hang the lights. I do not care for the way the are hung right not but not sure if I have any other option since this will be a lidless tank and the tank mounts don't fit on a 125G. Anyone have an ideas?

Also does anyone have any suggest for my stocking and plant list. I plan on using my driftwood from my last tank

I'm not a thief but if I walked by that van I may go dark side on that one:) this is going to be a good one! !! Plants look good, i would totally do a ton of rainbows in a tank this long..can't wait to see progress!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Little update. I had to get a replace tank because the first one had a small leak at the seems, luckily I caught it in time. Prepped the new tank and fill her up. Added substance and hardscape. I have the FX6 filled with polyfill for the first week to polish the water then going to switch maedia back to normal.

6 Hours after fill

24 Hours after fill

I think im going to put a warranty claim in for the Aqueon Pro heater becuse for some reason micro bubble keep forming around this one.

Update:
Tank has finish it cycle and going through the brown algae stage. I added 5 White Cloud Minnow (Temporary) and 9 Julii Cory. I also added a couple of plants Amazon Swords, Amazon Frogbit, Anubias Nana and Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green. Everything seems to be going okay, my only concern is if I have good water circulation as far as the direction of my output nozzle.

That's an awesome tank! What's the plants on top?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That stuff is frogbit. I had some till my fish discovered it was edible.

Haha that's too bad. Does that effect the light coming down on the other plants?

Yes, it does. But this is a low light setup so I don't mind too much, but I am trying to sell some of it off.

Just out of curiosity how much are you selling it for? I just moved so I still need to set up my tank and everything but just curious

Just out of curiosity how much are you selling it for? I just moved so I still need to set up my tank and everything but just curious

Its in the classifieds too. But 25 for 7.50 or 50 for 15.00
plus shipping.

Update:

Added 8 Boesemans Rainbowfish, 3 Turquoise Rainbowfish and 2 Siamese Algae Eater. As far as stocking plans I had changed it a bit
X8 Boesemans Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemani) (8/8 currently)
X8 Julii Cory (Corydoras trilineatus) (8 currently)
X6 Oto (Otocinclus vittatus) (1 currently)
X19 Rummynose Tetra (Hemigrammus bleheri) (19 currently)
X2 Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilus siamensis) (2currently)
X6 Turquoise Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia lacustris) (3 currently)

From what I've seen most of the fish stay in the bottom 2/3 of the tank. So im looking for something for the top potions to even it up. Right now i'm in between these 3

X5 Praecox Rainbow (Melanotaenia praecox)
x5 Harlequin Rasbora (Rasbora heteromorpha)
x4 Dermogenys pusilla (Wrestling Halfbeak)

The Wrestling Halfbeak are more of what I want but the main problem with those is I have an open top. Any suggestions?

Plant wise I added

Anubias Nana x1
Anubias Coffeefolia x2
Hygrophila Difformis x2
Dwarf sagittaria x25
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green x2

Looking for some suggestion for plants too. Looking at some Bylxa Japonica. And maybe some Jungle Val a little left to the center of the tank.

looks really good. i really wonder if pair of 36" planted+ was the way to go for my 125. i got one of those cheaper 72" LED units and while there is plenty of light and things are growing i'm not really big fan of the color.

I think im going to put a warranty claim in for the Aqueon Pro heater becuse for some reason micro bubble keep forming around this one.
i don't think its an issue at all. bubbles will form on higher powered units. i just replaced one of the aqueon 300W with a 250W pro and i do see bubbles as well. i think they will go away with time

looks really good. i really wonder if pair of 36" planted+ was the way to go for my 125. i got one of those cheaper 72" LED units and while there is plenty of light and things are growing i'm not really big fan of the color.

i don't think its an issue at all. bubbles will form on higher powered units. i just replaced one of the aqueon 300W with a 250W pro and i do see bubbles as well. i think they will go away with time

Thanks. I am very happy with these lights. . It was exactly what I was looking for. I might upgrade to one of the new models coming out of I see something I really like. As far as the bubbles goes they went away. After talking to tech support I was told it was something from manufacturing. I was told to use white vinegar to remove it and that did it.

Have you decided on the stocking yet? I'd go a large school of harlequins (above15) and the rainbows. I don't know what the wrestling halfbeaks are. You've got the space though really for anything.

What substrate did you go with?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom