New CO2 kit, need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kribman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, I recently purchased an Ista Waterplant CO2 system with the refillable aluminum cylinder. It comes with a regulator equipped with a solenoid, a bubble counter and a ceramic diffusor

I have a 20 gal tank lightly planted with a coralife t5 lamp. The instructions that came with the kit were very informative as far as setting it up and recommended a flow rate of 1 bubble per second.

I managed to set the needle valve to just under that rate.

What i want to know is whether I should turn off the system at night?
How do I do this? do I simply unplug it, or do I have to turn the valves off as well (not the needle valve)

Can I leave it running?

The plants have been in the tank for just 2 days, although I was running it without lights or plants and just kept the HOB filter going and a pleco doing 25 % water changes every month...I did a 100 % water change and rinsed the flourite, cleanded the filter and installed new filter pads. I got new lights, driftwood, plants and a few fish to get the tank going again..

NO, you want the CO2 off when the lights are off. If it is like other solenoid CO2 systems, when the power is off the solenoid shuts the CO2 off. Get a timer and set so it comes on one hour before your lights come on and off 1 hour before your lights go off. Visually check that your solenoid does shut your CO2 off. OS.

Hi Oldscales,

Thank you for your reply you have got me thinking of purchasing a decent timer to run the lights and CO2,

I have one more question though, If I simply unplug the solenoid will that be sufficient to cut the flow of CO2 on my system? I did that last night without fiddling with any of the valves and after a few minutes it seemed to stop. would it be advisable to to turn the valve on the tank all the way off or just leave it alone and prevent wear?

Back
Top Bottom