New plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissa1977

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just a quick newbie question...

Is it absolutely necessary to disinfect the plants before putting them in a tank ??

I ve already introduce plants in my tank without disinfecting them... I ve got couple of snails introduced because of that but im going to get a puffer fish anyway (He will eat them happily !!).

But still, is it really dangerous to introduce disease with plants ?
I don't have fish in my tank yet !

I have only had a planted tank for a few years. I haven't had a problem that I know of from not 'disinfecting' the plants before adding them. I did get snails, but I swear it was from a fish rather than a plant.

How would you disinfect a plant?

I never so called "disinfected" a plant for my tank. All I usually do is fill a bucket with a little water and declorinator and just wash them a little, just to try and get rid of any snails and snail eggs. Haven't had a problem yet.

melissa1977 said:
They say the you could use a mix of 5% javel/water or some vinegar mix with water...

Ah I haven't read that. I imagine it would be beneficial. I hadn't thought of cleaning a plant before planting.

Potassium permangenate
Ten minute soak. This is particularly effective against harmfull bacteria.

Jungle Products Clear Water
A diluted form of potassium permangenate

Lime it
An aquarium product effective against snail eggs and bacteria

Alum USP
Available at drug stores. This kills microscopic bugs and snail eggs. 10 teaspoons to a gallon of water. Soak the plants for up to three days.

Household bleach
1 part bleach to 19 parts water. Effective against pathogens, algae, and snails. Can also cause severe damage to plants, particularly sensitive stem plants. Do not allow the roots, bulbs, or rhizome to come in contact with the bleach. Soak for two minutes and rinse completely with clear water and dechlor.

Best regards

Robert Hudson
www.aquabotanic.com
far from ordinary

Thank you, Robert, nice summary of the various methods of plant "disinfecting."
I use the Potassium permangenate, (though I have forgotten sometimes). I knew of some of the other ways, but not all of them, appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom