New T-8 bulbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait54

Aquarium Advice Addict
Was wondering what are some good T-8s I can get for my dual fixture for a 54g tank it's a 36" fixture it currently has a regular sunglo 20w and a bluish sunglo 20w

What are some good replacements can I get a new good blue bulb that'll be good for plants?

All my plants are low light if that helps.

They will work. That bring said, some 8kK bulbs have a pink hue to them that I'm not a fan of visually speaking, but that's my own personal taste.

aqua_chem said:
They will work. That bring said, some 8kK bulbs have a pink hue to them that I'm not a fan of visually speaking, but that's my own personal taste.

Ok thanks so much for the help the reason I'm asking is cause the guy at the lfs only has those. He agreed 6.7 are better but yet have a yellowish tint to them.

Thats the prevailing opinion on them, but I either dont notice it or maybe I just prefer it. It's largely a taste thing. You might bring a fixture with you and ask if you can try them out to see what you prefer. Some stores may go for that.

You know thats a great idea! The only thing they don't carry 6.7k in the store. Its a locally owned store that has a huge saltwater selection, they offered me t-5s but for the low light plants I have it's not worth it.

Do you have any tanks with 6.7k lights on them? A picture would be appreciated!

Well, here's this.....

img_1761628_0_8901622063ace3ba2d7c3b3237d7576d.png

I'm trying to find this one post on a forum I saw awhile back, but it might be a little bit.

Ok one thing I really need to know is will 6.7 grow plants then 8k bulb? If not or it's similar I'll just get what they have.

Thanks again your a big help.

Ok that thread is amazing!

But I've hit a speed bump.

My fixture is a dual 30" fixture with 24" bulbs that have 20watts each.
So I went to the lfs and they have 8k bulbs but they only throw out 17watts!!!!?? They say they don't make 20 watts anymore.

I really don't want to go t-5 will low light plants it makes no sense.

My question is can I get away with 2-17 watt bulbs with low light plants in a 54g bowfront? I'm confused.

They also told me either way would be fine because 2 yr old 20w bulbs would throw less watts then 2 new 17watt bulbs.

I need help plz!

You have several possible courses of action.

You can get the 17w and try that out.
You can try getting T5NO.
Special order the 20w off the net.
Make the plunge into slightly higher light with 1xt5ho.

Back
Top Bottom