New tank, advice apreciated...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JennE

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I would just like some advice. I'm looking to set up a tank. I love goldfish. I would also like live plants.

Is that possible?
What filtration would be best?
Lighting?

And just, in general, is there anything to be aware of starting out?

Thank you!!!

JennE

if your looking at goldfish keep in mind that you need AT LEAST 10gal of water per goldfish because they are very messy fish...i hope somebody else can guide you on the equipment you will need... :D

Welcome to AA!. :smilecolros: :wave:
In addition to the 10 gal per goldfish you will need good filtration. I would recommend a HOB filter of at least 2 times the rating of the tank size. I personally run two filters on my goldie tank. I had asked about a cannister filter but the folks here at AA convinced me that a cannister filter with goldfish would require a lot of cleaning as goldfish are large waster producers.
Also I would highly recommend doing a fishless cycle. There is an excellent article here . It is by far the most humane method of cycling the tank.
If you plan on having plants your lighting requirements will be different than non planted tanks.

Welcome to AA!

There is some debate whether planting a goldfish tank is a good idea due in large measure because most goldfish will eat them. The other issue is live plants like warmer temps than what your goldfish need.

We have had some members post some successful tips on how to accomplish this, though I could not say for certain what these were.

JennE said:
I would just like some advice. I'm looking to set up a tank. I love goldfish. I would also like live plants.

Is that possible?
What filtration would be best?
Lighting?

And just, in general, is there anything to be aware of starting out?

Thank you!!!

JennE

yea I'm actually trying that experiment out now. As you have seen on links to the goldfish paradise website, people have done it before. Just mentioning a few issues I came up against:

* Goldfish love to uproot your plants so you may have problems with anything susceptible to uprooting
* My light coupled with the heat of summer is increasing the temp of my tank in excess of my ideal range
* Goldfish may eat the plants and have already eaten some dry. lol

Thank you all for the great advice, and visuals!!!! I'm still in the research phase. And staining, and preparing the base for the tank....grins...

I'll keep you updated!

Thanks again!!!
JennE

Back
Top Bottom