New Tank - Plant Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezzn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone,

I have a new planted tank running for about a month. I'm seeing my plants not doing very well. I was hoping to see if anyone might have any ideas on what is wrong. I added some Pics.

Attachments

• P9140001.jpg
    P9140001.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 44
  • P9140002.jpg
    P9140002.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 49
  • P9140003.jpg
    P9140003.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 46
  • P9140004.jpg
    P9140004.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, those plants aren't actually aquatic plants. They're terrarium plants that are often erroneously sold as aquatic plants. That would certainly explain why they aren't thriving.

I'm pretty sure that's bamboo ya?
It will survive only if the root section is submerged and the stem and leaves are above water.
I don't know too much about aquatic plants; however, I do know a bunch when it comes to non-aquatic. My bonsai and other plants thrive from my water change water ;) As does my bamboo. I refill its container with aquarium water.

I bought these plants at the fish store, so they are meant to be put in a fish tank (no?). It's not Bamboo, but I did forget the name

A pant problem? Maybe you should stick to skirts...

Anyway, Looks like white ribbon plant. Not aquatic. Best to just remove it and buy plants elsewhere.

ok, good to know.. Thx everyone.. One more question..

If you have fish eating your plants, what can you do to stop them?

Thank you

I just looked up these plants. I'm actually amazed that they aren't even in the same family as bamboo. How does a plant in every shape and form resemble another and not even be the same strange. I guess I have Dracaena Sanderiana and not Poaceae.
These are sold at Petsmart and Big Al's here in Canada, but never sold to be placed wholly in the aquarium. They always have the stem in the water and the leaves outside.

For plants, I shopped at pet-mart. Is there something I should be looking at on the label to make sure i get the right plants?

Just do some research on aquarium plants before you go. Are you wanting low light easy care? My petsmart usually has anubias, java ferns, crypts, and some other stuff like hornwort, wisteria, etc. Or if you see something you like, you can always snap a picture and ask for an ID on the forum before you buy.

Thank you everyone for the help and info. I put the plant in question into a pot and went to the fish store. I bought one Anubias Afzelii and Windelov Java Fern. Wish me luck.

Back
Top Bottom