New tank you guys (been awhile)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy guy

Aquarium Advice Addict
alright, alright.
its been nearly a YEAR since Ive posted.
looking for a planted tank community again, and figured this place is still awesome, why not.

anyways my beautiful fiance decided she wanted a new setup (her betta finally past on, but he lived for a LOOONG time lol

anyways, we scrapped the old 10, and im power cleaning it to use as a possible plant propagation tank or sorts, possibly toss some crystals in there..

anyways
she went out and bought a tank, driftwood, sand, new filter, new heater..really tried to do it right..

BUT shes not exactly as versed in fish speak as me (I still have learning to do as well haha)

anyways, the tank now has fish (in process of doing a hard cycle, unfortunatley, but we havent lost a single resident, and the amm. is 0, and our trites are getting down to zero after some time)
I figured hey, plants will help with a cycle, or maybe I just need a half decent reason to spend money on fish stuff (anyone else love fish shopping?!?!)

So ive set up a hagen nutrafin natural co2 plant system thing, but Im using the cannister with my own co2 recipie.
Have the drop checker as well, and got a boatload of plants.
I ordered some anubias barteri "nana" for 6 bucks from (dogfoodect.com) and got 2, have ozelot sword, its doing ok, but Im not a fan of the spots, and I have a grass of some sort, a sword of some sort, and 2 red plants (help me figure out what I got guys haha)

Plants been running for 2 weeks (cept the anubias, they came today) and are all doing great.
have some searchem various nutes (phos, iron ect...) as well as nutrafin plant gro, which ive only used so far, but the pants LOVE it.

as far as stock, I know that all the water column fish are tetras, and they actually school together. 6 of them
she also got 2 ottos.
as well (i know, i know, overstocked) as a clown pleco
I snatched some ghost shrimp, and am going to add more shrimp soon.

Is the tank doable as is, with maintenance (I do daily tests on all tanks with api freshwater master test kit..)

also have mts in the tank, and want a few tylomenia, but may have to put them somewhere else..

heres a pic, anyone able to identify the fish and or plants?

sorry im spacy, worked all week and having a nice bourbon on the rocks while tank gazing.

the pics.. the fish pics, the longer finned bigger tetras, there are 2, possibly male and female (one is pinker in color)
the smaller guys, with the yellow stripe on the top fin, and the reddish tails we have 4, two are regular and 2 albino
no otto pics, they have lots to eat, one even got pregs, but I dont think she is, and dont see babies :(

thanks guys, im glad to be back, btw

Attachments

• WP_20131227_005.jpg
    WP_20131227_005.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 88
  • the fish.jpg
    the fish.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 91
sorry, I was using a coralife t5ho fixture, a 10,000k and a 6500k
it died, Im using a 40watt cfl pointed from the small end down (not its side)
already getting algae, any tips on that as well.
whats the split timing preferred nowadays, it was 5/6/5 or something like thaT?

anyone know what plants or fish these are?
the tank has cycled, and only some trates remain, but Its heavy planted, and plants love a natty sourse of trates..
help me out guys, plants and fish, what is in here?
I can take back, put in other tanks and get more, I have several tanks, various sizes, I just want everyone happy, and plants nammed...
also, getting some tylomelania, any good sources for those?
I want a golden rabbit breeding pair

edit: the tylos are for a bigger tank, not the way too full tank.
have pulled the anubias nana apart, and spread it over the logs.
i reccomend the seller, they were great...

Last edited:
Sorry can t help ya. Interesting looking fish tho . Best of luck with your tank & welcome to the forum :).

Well the purple and green one is called a purple waffle and it is not a true aquatic. I will be ok for a while but is will melt away as time goes on.

Well the purple and green one is called a purple waffle and it is not a true aquatic. I will be ok for a while but is will melt away as time goes on.

thats what I was afraid of, its already out of the tank, and have pulled the anubias apart a bit to spread it out more.
Have receipt and will get exchange tomorrow.

I know the ozelot sword is the back right, and the back left is another sword of some sort I think.
anubias nana on the log, but unknown other reddish plant in the font right in the pic (moved it to the front left to fill gaps.:fish2:

the fish LOVE the plants.
tank is stabilizing, 0 amm. near 0 trites (api liquid test) and some trates (but my plants like those, and its just over the sketchy zone (still doing the cycle, should go down, been on 25% daily water changes, more if tests come up sketchy 5 hours later)

thanks guys

also, any good tetra reference sites, with lots of tetras and the names or something?:fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1:

ok, the ones with the yellow stripe top fins and the reddish rear fins are xray pristella tetras.
also have 2 albino pristellas

and then two, possibly long fin, but I dont think thats what they are..

they seem to ALL school in one group, so maybe it will work out ok?

they apparently all came from the same tank at out lfs (keep in mind, mvp pets in lex. ky is a GREAT lfs, and the tanks are prop. stocked and stupid clean.
plants have their own tank.

Back
Top Bottom