New to planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barrelracertrix

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there everyone :D I recently bought a couple plants for my tank assuming without any work they would just grow. I've been researching plant care and now I'm finding that this is not the case. I've bought the root tabs, liquid plant food, CO2 booster and leaf green. But I am concerned about my lighting, it is a little pricey and I don't want to make an unnecessary purchase.
My tank is currently stocked with
10 stalks of anacharis
2 hornworts
1 moneywort
1 assorted Anubis (round leaf)
1 java fern (narrow leaf)
I have a 37 gallon petco tank. The light and filter are both stock. It says on the back of the hood that it is 40 watts I pasted a snapshot of my tank details. Is it worth it for me to buy a new light for my tank? If so, what type?
Thank you in advance!!!!!

The bulb is most likely a single T-8 fluorescent. The "color" is typically printed on the bulb itself. Ideal is 6700k but not mandatory. You could swap out the bulb but I believe you would still not have enough light for even low light plants. You could try out your current setup and see how the plants do.
An upgrade would be a dual T-5 normal output (NO) setup and even better a dual T-5 high output (HO). You should be able to find the latter online for under $40-50. Keep in mind that fluorescent bulbs should be replaced annually; you may want to factor that into the cost.
Another option is an LED fixture. Finnex has a few models that should work with your tank: Planted+, Ray2, and FugeRay (IMO in that order). These should be in the $80-100 range. On the plus side, you should not have to replace and bulbs.

Thank you!!! That was really helpful. I love LEDs they are awesome. And that price doesn't seem too unreasonable so I will probably look into that

Back
Top Bottom