overwhelming phosphate levels from my tap water!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourFRESH

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello all. i have an overwhelming amount of algae in my 92 gallon aquarium. i have been doing 50% water changes every week as well as underfeeding to try to bring down the levels. i have had this problem before and the guy at my LFS had me bring a sample from my aquarium in for him to test for phosphates. the level was off the chart.

so we got a huge package of phosphate absorber and the guy told us just to put the entire bag into our filter and leave it in for about 2 months (and boy did it work, our tank was clean and clear as can be!). now a few months later, the algae is back, and now we have CO2. we got our own phosphate test kit, and tested our tap water to find out it's our tap water that has these overwhelming levels! i can't even tell you what level it is because it's darker than the darkest color on the chart (which is 10 PPM)

so we've got some more phosphate absorber, but now it's looking like we're going to have to keep having to buy this (rather expensive) stuff to keep the algae down. in additional notes, besides CO2 we also have 2 CF lights (96 watts each, i'm not sure how many WPG that is). i think having both lights on is really bright (and that's why our algae is so bad) but the guy at the LFS store said we need both lights on for our CO2 to work efficiently.

any thoughts on what i can do about this problem? i kind of don't believe that i need both CF lights on at all times, and i am hoping i can find another way besides buying large amounts of phosphate absorber to take care of this, but i understand if there is no other way

Do you use RO or RO/DI water? Ive been having the same broblem and tested my water source and it showed that i had 2.0-3.0 ppm for phosphates which is still high, when it should be 0. Check some of my other threads, they are practically the same as yours. You should find good info there.

In the long run the RO or RO/DI unit will save you money. I'm going to buy mine soon, even though my levels aren't as bad as yours.

Back
Top Bottom