Peacock fern??!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahollland92690

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so i am new to planted aquascapes and i bought a peacock fern today from a lfs and then decided to read up about it (i know wrong order - research first!) but i got excited bc my tank has finally finished the cycling process so i decided to buy something...so reading up about it I have found mixed reviews on Peacock ferns...they say it is not a plant that you can fully submerge in water that its not really an aquarium plant that you can only put it half way in the water so its better as a potted plant outside of the aquarium...is this true? bc if i cant fully submerge it and plant it in my tank for the fishies to swim through then i dont want it (my cat will pull it out and prob eat it if its floating - she climbs ontop of my tank...) :cat:

Please answer ASAP so i know if i need to return it THANKS!

Peacock Fern isn't an aquatic plant. It might last a little while under water, but it will eventually die. I'd return it! If they have any Java Fern, get that instead.

You can get windelov fern from a member on this site. They own an upcoming business so just ask Severum Mama. It's kinda like java fern... I'm waiting for her to get another shipment.

Did you get it out of a tube or was it in a tank? Just about all of the plants in tubes wont work in an aquarium (a few exceptions like amazon sword and anubias)

ya i got it in a tube...thanks, i thought that all the tubes were aquarium plants lol like i said im still a newbie...but that makes sense bc its not in water lol

Do not buy plants from Petco/Petsmart etc. or anything in tubes. Also avoid the bamboo. These plants are usually not True Aquatic plants. They will die when fully submerged and cause ammonia spikes. I have made this mistake before. Either find a real local pet store and have them order the plants you are after or use Aquariumplants.com, also when ordering online, be sure you can fund the one day shipping, or the plants will usually end up dead.

Back
Top Bottom