phosphate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blang

Aquarium Advice Freak
I justed tested my phosphate level and it is .75. I am currently adding phosphate remover as my tap water has high phosphates. It's been two weeks and after my last water change, I noticed an increased amount of hair algae. Should I replenish the phosphate remover or is .75 a good phosphate level?

I have a 90 gallon partially planted tank with about 2.4 wpg. The tank has been set up since Christmas but was cycled immediately with Biospira.

I actually need to check on this myself so semi tagging along. I believe phosphate is supposed to be 1:10 to nitrate.

Check the sticky notes on this forum for any immediate details that may help. Because we don't have full notes on the tank you're running, it's hard for us to tell what the problem may be.

A couple of notes though. A PO4 level of .75 ppm is not undesirable in certain circumstances. Since you are running a med-/high-light tank, if you are injecting CO2 (not sure on that) a .75 PO4 level is about normal, given that all other macros are in balance. What is your NO3? Given that you are using CO2, what are your pH and KH levels. We need this info to give valid advice. Sorry to sound picky. I think we're working on a form for advice somewhere, but we really do need this info to give you any truly useful advice :)

Bill?

I am not running CO2 and am trying to avoid using it. This is my first large tank, plus planted and right now, I only want to use CO2 as a last resort. My nitrates are 5. I fertilize using Kent products once a week to help with the nitrates and iron and probably a few other things. Hope this information helps.

Also, it is currently understocked with fish (about 2/3 full).

Even with Biospira it is unlikely that your biological filter media is mature. A nitrate reading of 5 is very unlikely to be accurate unless you are using a LaMotte or Hach kit to measure it. Although they claim to measure NO3 down to the 5-10 ppm level, most average (Seachem, AP, etc.) brands can only be trusted to within 10-15 ppm, and are especially hinky toward the low end of the scale; thus your kit may say 5 ppm NO3 but you could actually have up to 15-20 NO3 or even 0 NO3 and not know it. Zero NO3 is particularly bad (as is zero PO4) because your plants become macronutrient deficient and quit uptaking most other nutrients, allowing the algae to get the upper hand.

I hate to sound like an ad for high-end test kits, but a $40-50 investment in a good LaMotte nitrate test kit can easily save you $40-50 worth of problems/hassle in the long run. I love mine :)

Actually, when I first tested for nitrates, it was zero. After dosing with fertilizers, it went up to 5 and I saw a slight improvement in the amount of algae. The biggest difference was when I added the phosphate remover. I am using Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. test kit.

Back
Top Bottom