Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Plant Food While Tank Is Cycling?

Hi all,

I have a question about adding liquid plant food while my tank is still cycling. Will the nutrients and chemicals from the plant food hinder or harm the cycling process? I think my plants need a bit of a boost, but I don't want to do anything that will halt or prolong the cycle process.

Thanks for your help!

Golden Apple & Tiger Nerite Snails, Cherry & Amano Shrimp
BarleyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You usually shouldn't have a problem. I'm cycling a tank right now and feed 'em some fertilizers when I have to, and never see any problems. If you want to help the cycling process AND the bacteria at once, drop a little fish food in there. As it decomposes, it'll release ammonia, but the plants will suck up nutrients from the resulting detritus.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyBear View Post
Hi all,

I have a question about adding liquid plant food while my tank is still cycling. Will the nutrients and chemicals from the plant food hinder or harm the cycling process? I think my plants need a bit of a boost, but I don't want to do anything that will halt or prolong the cycle process.

Thanks for your help!
Are you fishless cycling or fish-in cycling? The ferts won't hurt anything, they may actually help the process if you are fishless cycling because there is a great nutrient demand when the process really starts going.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the info guys. I'm cycling with fish in. It's been a decade or so since I've had a tank, and I totally forgot about the cycling time. I would have gone fishless if I'd remembered.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyBear
Thanks for the info guys. I'm cycling with fish in. It's been a decade or so since I've had a tank, and I totally forgot about the cycling time. I would have gone fishless if I'd remembered.
Tested the water tonight. Ammonia and nitrites are at zero! Woo-hoo! Took less than two weeks. I used Nutrafin Cycle, which I think helped cut the time down. I also added some potting material from an order of plants I received to my filter hoping it contained some bb to sees the tank.

Tags
cycling, food, plant, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com