Plant help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dooboedoo12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 90 gal tank with a sand substrate. I have 2 banana plants and 2 amazon spears. They are growing amazingly now. Faster than I could have imagined. Will they remain healthy as they grow or am I going to have to start doing other things to keep them healthy? I have a 10k and 6500k lights on them 8 hours a day

My LFS said I don't need anything else. I don't believe him. Esp bc I want to add moss eventually and he said I'd still be good. What do you think I would need ? What kind of fert

I don't know about the bananas , but the sword will need root tabs since the sand itself doesn't have much in the way of nutrients.

What's a good one that I can buy? What about co2? Is that going to be a problem?

I have been using seachem tabs and my swords are growing great a couple of them are 20ins and are starting to come up and out of the tank. I also dose dry ferts and have them under high light.

I am not 100% sure about the banana plant but I know the swords will be fine without co2 and a root tab, I believe banana plants do not need it either. Plants with co2 will grow a lot faster and be more "robust" however, you can have a nice planted tank without it as well. You just have to remember to be patient :) since they will grow slower.

For substrate fertilization I use the Aqua Fertz series of root pellets via AquariumPlants.com. Much cheaper than what I have seen in the LFS (they are 75/$10).
As with the other post, I would say the CO2 is not necessary. The amount of light usually dictates that (higher light = CO2) in most cases.
For the banana plant, it will send arial shoots to the surface. If the current is not too strong, then those will grow into nice pads. You could even propagate new plants from the lily pad. Or you can snip any arial shoots; this will promote more growth at the base of the plant.

Yea each plant has 2 now. All the plants seem to be growing amazingly I was just worried as they got bigger if they would need it. I'll stay away from co2 for now but I'll get some tabs asap

Back
Top Bottom