Plant ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josh7

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can you guys identify this plant my friend said I can have it if I want because he's selling his tank soon.

Attachments

• image-237714672.jpg
    image-237714672.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 100
Can you guys identify this plant my friend said I can have it if I want because he's selling his tank soon.
To me, it looks like maybe Argentine sword (Echinodorus argentinensi). Not Amazon sword IMO. Argentine sword looks very similar to Amazon sword, but is stemmier than Amazon sword which tends to be a very dense plant.

I can get another picture and do these plants if it is a amazon sword very hard to take care of or are they beginner plants.

Okay so they don't need extra CO2 right and do they require fertilizer.

Well, light, co2 and ferts all sort of go together, if you increase one, you often have to increase the others too. So, thats not the easiest question to give a solid answer for.
However, I have both Amazon and Argentine sword and I do not use ferts/co2/ or have very good lights and my plants flourish.
Be warned though, both of those sword species get rather large. Argentine swords (which is still what I think this is) reach 18 inches and Amazon swords (which I still think this is not, but I have been wrong before) reach like 2 feet.

That's not a problem because I'm gonna put it in a 55 gallon instead probably but I had a few questions to about socking in my cycled 10 gallon I have 4 male guppies and was wondering if I could add 5 bronze or peppered cories.

Oh yeah, then you will be golden with that in a 55g. :)
No, bronze cories are too big for a 10g tank. They are rather active and 10g just doesn't give them much room. If I was you, I would try to find pygmy cories for your 10g tank. They only reach an inch. :)

How about peppered corys as pygmys never come up around here.

Nope. IMO/E, no cories other than the pygmy varieties in a 10g tank. Peppered get just as big as the bronze cories do.

Sword Plants are heavy root feeders. I do like to give them a root tab. I use DIY Osmocote Plus gel caps.

There are three species of pygmy Cories commonly available.
C. pygmaeus
C. hastatus
C. habrosus

Many stores mix these up. For easy info and pics I would bookmark this site ;
http://www.scotcat.com/articles/article115.htm

I came across habrosus via my Aquatic Plant club. Found more this week. I have 5 now, may buy another 6 Saturday.

Agreed on the cories. If you want a bottom dwelling cory that behaves like the peppered and bronze do, go for the habrosus. The others shoal mid tank, and are very shy. They can be hard to find in shops, but pretty easy to get if you can order online.

Here's another picture of that plant though.

Attachments

• image-735556978.jpg
    image-735556978.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 55
josh7 said:
Here's another picture of that plant though.

Ya, I still think its a sword. Which one I have no idea, when I got my swords they were both called amazon swords.

Okay will have to look in the hasborous though I like the looks of it I guess i will have to order some.

One more quick question have you guys ever seen at petsmart the little clear crayfish do you know if these are dwarfs or just regular crayfish.

A couple places that carry the habrosus are franksaquarium.com and wetspottropicalfish.com. They aren't always in stock because they are usually wild caught, so it seems to be kind of seasonal. If you order, I would get a 10 pack, since you will probably have a few losses during shipping and/or acclimation.

Those are probably just feeders. Regular crays. No telling how big they get w/o knowing the exact species.

Back
Top Bottom