Plant ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I purchased this plant for the frogs, they had it in their tank at the lfs. Have no idea what it is hopefully someone can enlighten me. I tried searching online but hard to narrow it down as it was floating in the tank at the lfs, but it may not be a genuine floating plant. TIA.

1001437.jpg

1001435.jpg

I will do that, just put it in the tank, the frogs were darting in and out of it and I wanted them to get used to it first.

If it is moneywort, it looks like it was grown emmersed. I don't think it is moneywort though. Looks more like frogbit. (Limnobium laevigatum)

Its not moneywort. Its likely a species commonly known as Pennywort...Hydrocotyle leucocephal or Hydrocotyle verticillata.

I agree with Simpte that it looks like emersed growth (thicker stems, broader leaves).

stuff grows like crazy, makes an interesting foreground as it stays about 3" (at least the species I have)

what sized tank is it? i think it looks like some giant pennywort that i find outside :roll:

This is a 20 gal. I think you are right in the pennywort guess. Thanks guys! As I said I bought it from the lfs asit was in with the frogs and they love to hide in it.

I've seen huge pennywort like that at the LFS once. I think it was emmersed growth...it was 6" tall and thicker stemm'd.

You can bury the stems, and just have the leaves stick up, to make a carpet of "toadstools". You can also just stick one end in the substrate and have it grow vertically like a normal stem plant. And as you have seen it it grows just fine floating on the surface. Leaves that get shaded will tend to lose color and die off over time.

Back
Top Bottom