Plant ID please.. and questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just successfully did a substrate change from gravel to FloraMax (with flourish root tabs embedded) and I successfully got my first DIY CO2 working. I got some random plants from the LFS that I believe are high light and co2 type (not sure though). However, I forgot the name of them when the guy at the LFS named them. Please let me know what the green and red plants are in the picture.

Also, the red plants were clippings and they are already springing roots at the very bottom. However, I noticed a few roots also growing out of the middle top part. I kinda regret not getting more clippings to fill out the back of my tank. So I'm wondering if I'm able to snip right below those roots and re-plant the red plants to broaden the coverage? Or should I wait for it to establish the roots at the bottom? I barely planted them as snippets (no roots) a week ago. So the base roots aren't strong yet.. Basically, I don't want to kill them but yet I'm eager to get more stems growing.. Anyone have experience with these particular plants?

Also, they use to go straight up. Now they are bending with leaves pointed up. I'm assuming its for the lights. But why? At the LFS, they were all straight. FYI, my lighting is pretty strong at 48w PC over a 12g nano cube.

Thanks for your help in ID'ing them and the info.

ForumRunner_20120808_231628.jpg

Yea, I agree with some species of Rotala (colorata or singapore). The other one looks like Pogostemon Erectus.

I agree with the above-
Rotala colorata and pogostemon erectus. I would wait a while so the plants get used to your tank and grow a bit more before cutting and spreading. Bending could mean that you have too much flow in your tank, or they are too tall so they are bending to keep all of the plant underwater. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but once you replant it will take them a while to correct the orientation or the leaves. If you don't want that then just trim and replant now.

Thanks everyone! Now I know the name of the plants I got so I can do some reading and research.

Do you think another reason for the bending is because I have too much light?

Brian_Nano12g said:
Thanks everyone! Now I know the name of the plants I got so I can do some reading and research.

Do you think another reason for the bending is because I have too much light?

It's hard to say. I had some cabomba do that under medium light. Maybe try turning the filter off for a few minutes and see if they are still bent? That way we can tell if the flow in your tank is causing it.

Yeah the bending is interesting because while the stem bends, all the leaves start pointing up toward the light. I don't know if its trying to avoid the light because its too intense or it is trying to position itself to absorb more of it to grow faster? The latter is what I'm guessing because the roots that are toward the top are growing at an astonishing rate. They're almost down to the substrate. Makes me wonder if i can snip the tops off already and re-plant? I just don't want to jump the gun and harm them since it's only been almost a week since i planted them. Thinking of letting the base roots get more rooted in... But that's hard to tell without pulling it out. Any idea of how long i should wait?

The nodes along a stem are where leaves, roots, and other stems can grow out of.

If it were me, I would wait until you can cut the stems into 2-3" long portions.

Oh thanks for the explanation. The stems that were given to me from the LFS are about 6".. I wonder if that's why roots are also forming off the top segments?

Just got home a while ago and the roots look even longer! Think this plant is eager to get snipped and replanted? Lol

ForumRunner_20120810_213726.jpg

I decided to cut of the tops on the two stems i have (1 at 2" and other at 3"). I did a little research thanks to the ID you guys gave me. I found an interesting thread in that you can plant a stem horizontally right above the substrate (weighed down by a few pebbles) and the Rotala will grow multiple vertical stems. If any of you are interested in an interesting read, check this out...
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7837-Rotala-planting

Read what the user Wet suggests.

Scored some more interesting stem plants... Got this green one, Myriophyllum Mattogrossense, to fill in the back next to the Pgoestemon Erectus. Right now it looks like too much going on but I hope it will look better when it fills in.

Also added another reddish plant next to the Rotala Colorta. It has a very deep red and I was told it's pretty new to the hobby... Hopefully it does well and gives me more nodes to cut off and replant... I believe it's called Ludwigia Palustris 'Red' (ludwigia hybrid)... At least that's what the guy at the LFS told me :)

Any info you guys can give me on the Ludwigia Palustris 'Red'? Haven't really seen too much info on it online.

img_2079254_0_1248d7b5fda9aae24a2d7b1fb7503287.jpg

Back
Top Bottom