Plant suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zimmanski

Aquarium Advice Addict
So in my tank I absolutely love the right side, and haven't ever liked the left so I was hoping to get some plant suggestions or some ideas what to do with the left side. I really like the thick stem and broad leaves of my compacta and would do the whole tank with it but that just seems in interesting. For lighting I have a coralife 2 bulb t5ho and an aqueon dual standard output t5 on the tank so I think my lighting is pretty good, just don't know what to do with it. I'm looking for a taller back ground plant really but any suggestions would be nice. Thanks! I'll attach pictures

Attachments

• image-379829296.jpg
    image-379829296.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 73
  • image-1342051089.jpg
    image-1342051089.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 67
  • image-93467031.jpg
    image-93467031.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 76
  • image-898544376.jpg
    image-898544376.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 59
  • image-336683557.jpg
    image-336683557.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 68
I would look into some type of carpeting plant - maybe a moss of some sort or perhaps DHG or mini swords. Are you running CO2 or doing any supplemental dosing?

It looks great to me! But what about some type of Val, or another long grassy plant?

The left side is more bare than the picture shows cause of my back ground but thank you! I'm pretty proud of the right side, I think it looks really natural and peaceful. I'll look into the Val's, I don't know any other grassy plants or if Val would need anything special or if excel and flourish would be good with it.

I would look into some type of carpeting plant - maybe a moss of some sort or perhaps DHG or mini swords. Are you running CO2 or doing any supplemental dosing?

I would really like a carpeting plant like DHG but I doubt I could grow any carpet plants. No co2, I've never done co2 before and I wouldn't really want it on this 75 gallon tank seems too expensive for a large tank and I would hate to mess it up, I value that tank too much haha. I'm adding daily excel, flourish comp and root tabs when I feel like it, I know I should probably have a routine but its always worked extremely well with my plants so far. Preferably no mosses, I hear they're messy.

Here's a picture of that compacta from the beggining of November(3" tall tops) and from first couple weeks of December(probably 6-7") and now it almost reaches the top of my tank! Pretty good for a petsmart tube plant IMO

Attachments

• image-2610625777.jpg
    image-2610625777.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 54
  • image-1278519823.jpg
    image-1278519823.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 56
You could do a Red Tiger Lotus and Limnophila aromatica 'hippuroides' for some color. Something you need to consider is some types of Val's will melt when using liquid carbon. I have Corkscrew Val's and I dose liquid carbon heavily and they have never had any problems with melting.

You could do a Red Tiger Lotus and Limnophila aromatica 'hippuroides' for some color. Something you need to consider is some types of Val's will melt when using liquid carbon. I have Corkscrew Val's and I dose liquid carbon heavily and they have never had any problems with melting.

I have cabomba furctata and I do love the coloring but its kind of getting bowm around in my tank for some reason, I can't seem to get the flow of my 406 directed right. I think I'm looking for something bushier than the tiger lotus, although I may try that too. What about alternanthera reineckii? Have any thoughts about this plant?
Edit: and I do love the aromatica, I may try to find some but I think it might be more dificult

Limnopnila gets really thick and a few stems get quite bushy. Here is a picture, it's the group of plants right n the center... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 220g update 12/18/12 - Picture

Alternanthera is okay but I prefer Rotala Macrandra over that.

Macandra can get crazy red! Didn't know that. Ugh! My LFS has a tank absolutely over run with rotala indica but won't sell me any of it, said I have to wait until Friday when they may or may not get a shipment in. Oh well, I'll continue my search for now, thanks for all the help guys, and gal! Keep it comin'

Macandra can get crazy red! Didn't know that. Ugh! My LFS has a tank absolutely over run with rotala indica but won't sell me any of it, said I have to wait until Friday when they may or may not get a shipment in. Oh well, I'll continue my search for now, thanks for all the help guys, and gal! Keep it comin'

I got some rotalia indica at Bamaplants.com.

You could also look for Rotala Magenta which I think is a type of Macrandra. I love my Macrandra and it grows like a weed. You can start with just a few stems and keep planting your trimmings and end up with nice big areas of it. That's what I did and I couldn't begin to tell you how many stems I have now, well over 50 I'm sure.

I have to look into those and that site! Patience has proven again to not be my strong point and I picked up one of those bag plants at petsmart, telanthera cardinalis. They looked good in the bag and for $6 I figured i would give them a shot while I looked at and for the ones everyone has suggested. Haha that left side of my tank has gone through so many plants :sigh:

Back
Top Bottom