planted newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

son2fu

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have an established 26 gallon with tiger barbs and cories, i have 3 anubias plants growing on driftwood and i would like to be more planted, i have just plain natural gravel , about 1-2 mm and 20 watt lighting( soon converting to a compact 65 watt). what should i get before i get started? will 65 watts be enough? what kelvin rating should i get?

A 65 watt compact fluorescent fixture will put your tank at medium high light or better. Whether this is enough light or too much light, depends on what you want to do with the tank. If you want to keep the tank relatively low maintenace, then this light fixture is probably too much. However, if you're looking to open up your plant options by keeping a high maintenance tank, then this may be enough light. It would allow you to grow all but the most light demanding species.

If you go with this particular fixture, you'll want to look into both CO2 injection and fertilization. Check out the Read this Sticky at the top of the forum for more information if you haven't already.

Anything between 5000K and 10000K should work well for your tank, it's more a matter of which color you prefer. The lower Kelvin ratings will look more yellow, while the higher Kelvin ratings will look more blue.

Back
Top Bottom